Thursday, October 29, 2009

Daisy Dukes Southern Saloon





Daisy Dukes Southern Saloon
2479 W. Int'l. Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL
(386)257-0920

To be honest with you, I cannot believe what I said in my last post about Daisy Dukes Southern Saloon. I either said I would never go back there, or I would never eat there again. Hopefully, it was that I would never eat there again as there was a recent opportunity and reason for me to return.

My friend Scott was in town from Chicago to attend the Dew Tour event going on in Orlando a couple of weeks ago. Since Scott used to live here and worked with me at ISC, he wanted to go out on the town to see what was going on. I had to remind him that it was Biketoberfest, so things might be a little wild. Little did we know.

My friend Katie has been telling me for a few weeks that I need to get out sometime on a Thursday night and check out "Ladies Night" at Daisy Dukes. She hadn't been, but somebody told her it is off the heezie for sheezie. Now when you take into account I am a happily married man, I haven't really had the motivation or desire to go out on a school night to check this out. However, when Scott came to town I rationalized that I owe it to my single readers, both male and female, to report on what might be of interest to them. So we loaded up and decided to see what all the fuss was about. You will be glad that I did.

Scott and I get there around 8:30 and we are meeting out buddies TK and Ronk. They are already there and having a couple of drinks. The restaurant is really crowded and sure enough, packed with a lot of nice looking ladies. We order a couple of beers and I ask the bartender what the ladies night special is and she tells me that ladies drink for free all night from 7:00 until closing. Now I see why this place is so popular on Thursday evening. In these hard economic times, women are all about the free drinks and the men are all about the women who drink them. It really was a nice mixture of girls to guys in the place. I do, however, wonder where all of these women have come from as there seemed to be a lot of new faces in the crowd from what I am used to seeing around town. My guess is there are also some Stetson students coming over from Deland for a night of fun.

We are standing there minding our own business drinking our beers when I notice a sign near the front door that would change my life. The sign reads, "Pudding Wrestling 10:00 tonight!" A quick glance at my cell phone tells me it is 9:30, so we have to stay and see what this is all about. Our original plan when we went out was that we would stop by Daisy Dukes to see what is going on and then go over to beach side and get heavily into the Biketoberfest mix. We now agree that there is no reason to go anywhere until we see what this pudding wrestling is all about.

I watched Daisy Duke's staff clear a place in the restaurant for the wrestling and bring out a large kiddie pool. They then proceed to open about 10-15 gallon cans of chocolate pudding and pour them into the pool. I am thinking to myself, "This is going to be out of control." The problem with these kinds of contests is that if you don't have a ton of money at stake, it is not easy to get a woman out of the crowd to agree to wrestling in a pool of chocolate pudding and ruining the rest of her night. They finally had to get some of the waitresses to agree to participate. By the time they get these girls all ready to go it is 11:15. I am pissed at this point and really ready to go, but Scott calms me down and we decide to stay.

Since we have been waiting for so long, we are located in what is now the front row of the wrestling matches. On this evening, I am wearing a pair of very light colored blue jeans and a t-shirt. The girls start wrestling and when the first one gets slammed to the floor, pudding splashes out of the pool and dots my clothing. Now I am covered in chocolate pudding. As the matches continue, I have to go to the restroom to wipe pudding off of my face and out of my hair. I have pudding everywhere and the place is going crazy! We watch the rest of the matches and have a pretty wild time, but am ready to go when it finally ends. This turned out to be a typical Biketoberfest evening.

As we are walking to the car, Scott says, "I'm hungry. You want to go get something to eat?" To which I answer, "Did we really just watch six nearly naked women wrestle each other in a kiddie pool of pudding? Damn right I want to get something to eat." Scott throws out IHOP or Denny's. In my mind, both of these will work at 1:00 in the morning, but I was kicking myself the next day. In true player fashion I should have called an audible and said, "Waffle House." That just goes to show you how little I am out late at night. I completely forgot about Waffle House. We pile into the car and make a last minute decision that we are going to take it to Denny's. Stayed tuned for my report on Denny's.

Since we did not eat anything at Daisy Dukes, I cannot give them a Stiffy rating, but will say all the single ladies and men should check out Thursday night at Daisy Dukes. You won't see any pudding wrestling on a regular Thursday, but you will have a great time. Also, that night I noticed that the manager is the same guy that worked down the street at the Winghouse. If he has taken over since my last visit, he may have been able to get them up-to-speed on their food. I'll have to get back in there sometime to chat with him and let him know of my earlier problems. He might just be what they need to turn things around.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: