Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Grubsteak


On our last night in Salt Lake City, Dave decided to take us up to Park City to a steak restaurant. It was a beautiful ride up to Park City for us Florida boys to see all of that snow. I enjoy seeing the snow about once a year and particularly like it when I don't have to deal with it. It was great to head up there and see the sites.

We get to the restaurant and are led to a nice table in a cozy room. I know that this place has enormous potential as you just get a great feel that they know what they are doing when it comes to steak. However, I have a problem. I am not that hungry. I am almost in a panic trying to determine what I am going to order and how this is going to play out.

Matt and Dave order the mixed grill, which is a skewer of venison, buffalo, caribou and elk. Nick orders the filet, which he always orders when he has steak and given that I am not that hungry, I just decide to go for the bacon cheeseburger. If you have read this blog before at all, you know how I feel about soup. The soup on this night is a cream of wild mushroom soup with rice that I figure I have to try. It is a wonderful soup full of plump mushrooms, perfectly cooked rice and a luxuriously smooth base. It was really good. The guys are all gone from the table getting their salads that come with their entrees as I am eating my soup. They all seem as satisfied with the offerings on the salad bar as I am with my soup, so all is good so far.

The entrees arrive and I can see that the food looks great. I notice that Nick grabs his fork to set his filet for the first cut. The fork sinks all the way down through the filet without much pressure given it's incredible tenderness. All of a sudden, I am wishing I would have gone for the filet. Did I mention that I was not really that hungry? Well, I obviously did not pay attention to the menu when ordering my burger. This thing weighs in at a full pound. The bun would serve me well as a small hat and I also have an order of fries to eat. Matt and Dave are in heaven with their mixed grill and I have to say the meat does look really good. Putting all else aside, I try my best to eat my cheeseburger. It is cooked exactly like I ordered, medium rare. The beef had great flavor, the bacon is tasty and the cheese is gooey and delicious just like I like it. However, there is just too much for me to eat. I am able to only eat half of the burger and really hate wasting food. There is absolutely nothing I can do on this evening to finish all of my meal. I am stuffed.

We all finish up and prepare for our ride back through the beautiful countryside of Park City and Salt Lake. I am so full at this point that I am almost falling asleep in the car on the ride back to the hotel. The Grubsteak has definitely lived up to everything Dave said it would be. Once again, Dave has done a great job in introducing us to some great flavor of the area.

I have to give our trip to Grubsteak five Stiffey's. Great food and a great atmosphere make for the best restaurant experience during our trip to Salt Lake City. You have to venture out to Park City to check out this great location if you ever find yourself in the area.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: