Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Macaroni Grill

I know what you are thinking. "How the hell did you end up at the Macaroni Grill when visiting a city like Salt Lake." Well, let me explain how this all came to be.

The conference on the first night ran until 8:30. If you have never been to Salt Lake City, you will find that many places there close pretty early during the week. By the second night we were joined by Clyde who was feeling Italian this night. We looked at our trusty map provided by what has to be the most nervous concierge in the city of Salt Lake and decided to head a few blocks away to Cafe Toscana. Dave decides that we should walk to the restaurant, as he says it is only a few blocks away.

Let me take a moment to tell you about the blocks in Salt Lake City. They are nothing like the blocks you are used to walking in New York City. These blocks are huge. As a matter of fact, a cabbie told us that seven blocks equal a mile. And did I mention that it was cold in Salt Lake City last week? We finally get to the location where Cafe Toscana was supposed to be located, only to find that it is a victim of our troubling economy. They have closed down. Needles to say, we were bummed and freezing.

We had passed a Macaroni Grill along the way and decided to hump it back there for what is now a late dinner. We got in at 9:45 when they were closing at 10:00. I have to give it to our server in that he did a great job even though he knew we were causing him to stay later on his shift.

I have to give the Macaroni Grill their props in that the food is very consistent. The vodka rustica I got was exactly like the dish I have gotten at any of their other locations. We all had some great food and the evening was saved. I do have to call Clyde out on a faux pas he committed when he told the waiter he wanted parmesan cheese on his shellfish. One should never get cheese when ordering a shellfish dish. Just thought I would share that little bit of knowledge with you.

If you are looking for a good Italian meal at a good price, the Macaroni Grill is a safe choice. I love the place to be honest. So much so, that I get hammered by one of my employees named Elizabethe whenever I suggest we go there for a departmental lunch. I am going to give our visit to the Macaroni Grill four Stiffey's. Good food, good service and a quality experience says it all.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: