Friday, June 12, 2009

Dave & Buster's


7025 Salisbury Road
Jacksonville, FL
(904)296-1525
Off I-95, Exit 344 at Butler Road

The one good thing I can say about my recent unemployment is that it has given me the opportunity to spend a lot more time with my daughter. Today she decided that she didn't want to to to the YMCA, where we have her enrolled for the summer, but wanted to stay at home with me. I decided to surprise her with a trip to Jacksonville to visit Dave & Buster's for lunch. I must tell you I have never driven so far for a meal without having never been to the restaurant previously.

During my last business trip to Long Island, NY, we did visit a Dave & Buster's, but I wasn't that hungry that night. I can tell you I was not overly impressed with the place and the food I did get was just OK. However, the Jacksonville location is incredibly nice. The dining area had a lot of dark wood, stained glass windows and ceiling fans that have to be seen to be believed. My daughter was fascinated by them.

We are seated immediately and I begin to peruse the menu. I am not seeing a lot that is tickling my fancy, but I do see they have a Philly cheesesteak. Now you know, I am about to break one of my cardinal rules of not ordering cheesesteak outside of the city of Philadelphia. Our waitress comes to take our drink order and I notice that she is a bit on the happy side. I wanted to suggest to her that she start breaking her Prozacs in half from now on, but I held my tongue. When she brings our drinks and asks if we are ready to order, I ask her, "How's the Philly cheesesteak?" She replies, "They are very good since we get our rolls directly from Philadelphia." This has me rolling my eyes as I have heard this one before, but decide to throw caution to the wind and give it a shot. My dad orders the bar mini-burgers and my daughter the Caeser Salad. I need to have a serious talk with her. She's seven years old and doesn't like cheeseburgers and orders a salad. In the long run, it's all good as she will probably live way longer than I will, but I want her to one day enjoy the decadence of a great cheeseburger.

After about five minutes at the table, our waitress comes back to tell us our food will be out shortly and brings me another Coke. Nevermind that I have only had about five sips out of the first one she brings me, but to each his own. Our food comes and I am pleasantly surprised by what I am seeing. My cheesesteak looks really good, but I would have liked the onions to have been grilled a little longer. My dad said his mini-burgers were really good. He said the meat had a great taste and they were nice and tender. I was shocked that my daughter actually ate most of her salad and hammered all of the croutons they placed on it. I have never seen her eat a Caesar Salad before, but she obviously knows what she is doing.

The food was really good. I have to say I was quite impressed. After eating I took my daughter into the game room where she proceeded to play a number of the games and had a great time. I don't know much about the Dave & Buster's business model, but I cannot believe they do not have more locations across the country. It is amazing they do not have one in Orlando. Families are always looking for great entertainment opportunities for their kids and they also serve good food. Additionally, Dave & Buster's have full bars if the adults want to have drinks. I also noticed separate rooms for special events and private parties. This must be a great place to take a large group.

Today was a great day! I have to give our trip to Dave & Buster's four Stiffy's. Great atmosphere, really good food and friendly staff makes this a place we will definitely visit again. Even though it is 80 miles away from our home.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: