Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lagerheads

Lagerheads
2444 S. Oceanshore Blvd.
Flagler Beach, FL 32136
(386)693-4939

Lagerheads has been open in Flagler Beach now for less than a year. My buddy Gary had been there a couple of times to watch a football game and have something to eat and suggested I give it a try. We decided to head there and have some lunch.

On the day we visited, we had quite a crew with us. There was Gary, his wife Nada, son Vuk, Gary's father, Gary Sr., my buddy Frank's girlfriend Bratch and myself. You really don't realize how different a beach town is until you go into a restaurant during the off season. We got the restaurant and there was one other couple there and a guy sitting at the bar. It was really slow.

There is somewhat of a funny story about our visit to Lagerheads. The restaurant has taken the place of Flagler Beach's only gentleman's ballet. A couple of years ago some guy decided he was going to open up a club in Flagler Beach, but had no idea the amount of opposition he would face. The location of this building is near a number of residences and should never have been allowed to open there. The residents picketed the location on a daily basis causing most men not to want to be seen going in and they quickly closed. I tell you all this as it played a part in our lunch visit. As we were waiting for our waiter to appear, we discussed where we thought the DJ booth had been located, where the stage must have been and the location of the VIP rooms. We think we got it all figured out, but it is pure speculation on all of our parts as we never got there before it closed.

Anyway, Lagerheads is a spacious restaurant with plenty of seating and great views of the ocean across the street. They have a number of flat screens, which I would think would make it a great place to check out a game. They also have a full bar area serving beer, wine and liquor.

Our waiter showed up to take our drink orders in a timely manner, but when someone asked what was the soup of the day I had to tell him that it was chili. There is really no excuse for that on a day when the restaurant is so slow. He came right back with our drinks and we placed our orders. There was a mixture of appetizers, soup and sandwiches ordered. I ordered a cup of chili and planned to split an order of wings with Gary. We ordered 20 wings, hot and grilled. My thinking was with the restaurant being so slow that day, it would be easy for them to grill our wings.

The appetizers show up along with my cup of chili in a fair amount of time. The chili looks great as it is topped with onions and shredded Cheddar cheese accompanied by saltine crackers. Here's where I would like to ask a philosophical question. Hss anybody in the history of eating in restaurants in the state of Florida ever gotten a fresh pack of saltine crackers? No matter where I eat, I always get stale saltine crackers. It is the most amazing thing and I promise to post here when I get my first pack of fresh saltines. I get over the issue of the stale saltines and start to eat my chili only to find that it is not hot. This is a huge problem for me as I like my soup and chili so hot that you can burn your mouth if you are not careful. The problem that I have now is that our waiter is no where to be found. Eventually, he appears at the far end of the restaurant, but he is paying no attention to his tables. Finally, I get up and take my chili to him and ask if I can have it reheated. It comes back to me pretty quickly and is hot just like I like it. It should be noted that the chili was very meaty and full of flavor. I was glad I ordered it.

Our meals are delivered by our waiter and everyone is pleased except Gary and I. We had ordered our wings grilled, but they came without ever having hit the grill. Given that I had already sent my chili back earlier, I didn't want to chance asking to have the wings go back and get grilled. The wings were hot, crispy and spicy. Gary and I tried to determine the sauce that was used on the wings. I thought they were done with Texas Pete and Gary thought it was Crystal's Hot Sauce. After thinking about it a bit, I had to concur with Gary. It is too bad they didn't get grilled as the wings would have been oustanding with just a little bit of char on them. Everyone else enjoyed their meals, so overall it wasn't a bad experience.

For this visit to Lagerheads, I would have to give them three Stiffy's given my own problems with the chili and wings. My thinking is that we will probably end up there again to give them another try sometime soon.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: