Thursday, October 22, 2009

Taco Bell



A couple of weeks ago I was sitting at home watching some baseball when I saw the commercial for Taco Bell's new Black Taco. While I am not a huge fan of Tacos, I felt the need to head to the border. Keep in mind that it was after 10:00 and there is no way I should be eating this late, but as John Donne would say, "For whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." I had to get after it.

Now you have to take into consideration that I have been out of college for a number of years and out of the "game" since 1999. "The game" being going out chasing women and ending up at Taco Bell when the evening is not successful. If nothing, this trip to Taco Bell taught me a valuable lesson. Stick to what you know!

It has been so long since I have been to Taco Bell that I was in a panic when it came my time to order at the drive-thru. I had no idea what I was doing and had no idea where to look on the board for key menu items. It was literally as if this was my first time at this restaurant. All I could recall in such a quick moment was the new Black Taco and the new Half-Pound burritos being promoted on television. I knew I didn't want a taco, so I quickly scanned the menu board looking for some recognizable food items. In the spur of the moment, I thought, "go big or go home." If I went big, certainly there would be something I could find that would satisfy my late night craving. My order consisted of a soft chicken taco with extra sour cream, for Julynn, a Mexi-melt, half-pound beef burrito, a burrito supreme and and order of pintos and cheese. The worker threw me off when she asked if I wanted the regular sauce on the soft taco along with the extra sour cream? I mean, I guess so. This is where my unfamiliarity with their menu kills me. Who knows what is supposed to be on this taco?

I get home and back to my game as the spread is laid out on the table. My first thought is that this is a lot of food to be eating so late and how much it is going to kill me in the morning. But once I started getting into it, I quickly realized how much I miss this place. The food was still good and hot once I got back home and as tasty as remembered. Still my thoughts were that my stomach was going to pay the price for eating so much so late in the evening.

Surprisingly, I felt great the next morning. I have to give it to the folks at Taco Bell for their genius of creating "Fourth Meal." That is a great concept and it surely saved me that night. So if you are out late and feel the need to get something in your stomach I would have to recommend some Taco Bell to cure what ails you.

For my most recent visit to Taco Bell, I have to give them three Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

Begs said...

I was really looking forward to the black taco review

Stiff Competition said...

I couldn't bring myself to order the black taco. I am not much of a taco guy anyway. All about the buritto.