Friday, October 8, 2010

Squatters Pub & Bar


Squatters Pub & Bar
147 West Broadway (300 South)
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801)363-2739
www.squatters.com

I recently spent a couple of days in Salt Lake City while attending the JUS convention. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to hit some of the spots I missed last time I visited and seek out new places. My main goal was to dine at The Red Iguana, but unfortunately, that didn't happen. However, I did make some wonderful discoveries, so not all was lost.

My flight got into Salt Lake City pretty late and by the time I reached the hotel it was close to 11:00 in the evening. Since I hadn't eaten much that day I decided to head out to see if we could find a spot nearby. My buddy James was with me for this convention and he wanting to grab a bite as well.

Not far from the hotel we found Squatters Pub & Bar. It should be noted I visited there that last time I was in town, but only had some of their great beer on that trip. We were surprised to find the location not only still serving food that late, but quite lively with a room full of people eating and enjoying their various beers. We settle in at the bar and order a couple of beers while perusing the menu. It was typical pub fare, so we both decided to order burgers. I got the Black & Bleu burger and James had the BBQ Buffalo Burger. Both came with a hearty serving of fries on the side and arrived after a very short wait.

When the bartender gave us our food I asked her for a bottle of ketchup. She turned around, grabbed one and gave it right to me with the label facing her. Since I recognized the shape of the bottle, I knew it was Heinz and was more than fine with that. I pour out a good portion of ketchup to accompany the fries and start to dig-in. At the very first bite, my first thought was that they had substituted Heinz in that particular bottle. It had a weird flavor that I really couldn't put my finger on. Trying to be a trooper I continued to forge ahead. However, after about my fourth or fifth French fry, I had to turn that bottle around and read the label. Turns out she gave me "Organic" ketchup. Now you would think this would not make a difference in the flavor, but I am here to tell you that it was a very noticeable change and not for the better if you ask me. I looked around for other ketchup bottles and noticed that there were a number of regular Heinz Ketchup bottles on various tables. My feeling is that the "Organic" ketchup should only be given to a person if that is what they specifically ask for, or when somebody asks for ketchup the wait staff should ask, "Regular or organic?" Just a bad way for me to get started. Although I am glad I didn't put it all over my burger.

James said his buffalo burger was good and I have to admit the burger I ordered was good as well. Squatters has some great beers on tap and seem to be known throughout the area for their beers as I found other locations pouring some of their brews through their taps. If you are ever in the area I suggest you try their Polygamy Porter. It is so good you won't be able to have just one!

I'd probably hit Squatters again if I got back to Salt Lake, but would probably just have some beers. My overall experience really got jammed-up by that rotten ketchup. For this visit to Squatters Pub & Bar, I have to give them three Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

Sean Murray said...

Harry! Thanks for the scoop on the SLC restaurant and the heads-up about organic, free range, non-irradiated ketchup. Think I'll pass. Doesn't take much to turn a meal, does it? If I was the chef, I'd be POd. Polygamy Porter- what a hoot! Keep eating! Sean

Stiff Competition said...

Sean, I was shocked about the ketchup. There is no way I would try that again. Still have a few more entries to post for SLC. Stay tuned. I'll try to get them done tomorrow.