Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Five Guys vs The Brickyard

About seven or eight years ago while on a trip to Richmond, VA for a race, my cousin and I planned to meet for lunch. He told me he had a new place he wanted to take me that he thought I would really like. That place was Five Guys Burgers and Fries. They started that company in northern Virginia and were beginning to expand throughout the state at that time. I was really impressed with their burgers and fries and began telling everyone they needed to try this place when they had the chance. It took a while, but one day while driving around Orlando, I saw a new Five Guys opening and was ecstatic that they were now in Florida. I took some of the guys from our JumpTV office and they loved the burgers and fries as well. Five Guys makes good burgers and fries, but I have figured out why they are so successful.

In my opinion, Five Guys is so successful because they serve a good burger in a quick service manner that far surpasses their competitors. Their fries are also pretty tasty as well. However, I am going to tell you, they are not the best burger in my town. For me, that distinction goes to The Brickyard. I think it is important for me to break this argument down and tell you why I feel this way.

The other day I was on IM with a buddy of mine, affectionately known by me and a few others as Pony Keg, when he asked me if I have ever been to a Five Guys. I told him I had and liked their burgers, but I still felt there are better burgers out there. He too agreed, stating that he thought they were also a bit expensive. In fairness, I haven't done much comparison in that area, but do remember my last meal being over $10. He and I both went back and forth for a couple of exchanges saying there is something about Five Guys that isn't quite right, but we couldn't put our fingers on it. Finally, he pointed out the exact problem I have with them compared to others. His IM said, "I think it is that their meat has no flavor." At that moment, you could have knocked me over with a feather. It is exactly what I couldn't put my finger upon previously.

The Brickyard in Daytona Beach is an independently owned restaurant that serves great burgers. The burgers are cooked over an open flame and are made with prime ground chuck. I think what is most important that sets them apart from Five Guys is that you can get your burger cooked anyway you wish. At Five Guys, all burgers are served well done. Sorry, but I am a medium rare kind of guy that believes burgers are juicier and more flavorful when cooked in that manner. In the simplest terms, a burger at The Brickyard has far more beef flavor than a burger from Five Guys. It is something I thought during my last Brickyard visit about three weeks ago, but didn't confirm until Pony Keg broke me down.

The Brickyard is just a small restaurant here in Daytona Beach, but there are restaurants like this all over the globe. You just have to hunt them out and try different places. Again, don't get me wrong, Five Guys makes good burgers. I just think you can find even better if you look around and keep an open mind. The Five Guys in Port Orange opened a few months ago and now they are opening a new one right here in Daytona Beach about five miles from my house. Will I go there and have a burger when they open? Probably. Will that be my go-to place when I want a good burger? No. By default I will always choose The Brickyard as my first choice.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

5 comments:

Begs said...

I've only been to The Brickyard once, so I can't be 100% sure...but my vote goes to Five Guys. I'm a well-done burger guy, so their preparation is exactly what I order.

I was up in Newburgh, NY this weekend and hit the breaks when I noticed a new Five Guys -- the first location within reasonable driving area of me.

Kraig said...

Agree with Begs. Brickyard was good, but not as good as Five Guys.

Stiff Competition said...

There will be people that come down on both sides of this fence. Next time you are in town, we'll go to each place back-to-back and I will show you what I am talking about.

Great news on the Five Guys in Newburgh.

steph bratcher said...

I'm with you Stiffy - Brickyard does it for me...

I think the fact that you CAN only get Brickyard in Daytona gives it another splash of unique taste that can't even touch comparison to Five Guys.

I remember my first visit to the Brickyard... when I first saw the burger - I didn't even know where to start! It is a made-to-order, huge handful of deliciousness that you can't get anywhere else.

Of course, now that Daytona has its own Five Guys too, it really does make it easy to compare them. But I have to say, my vote will always go to the Brickyard.

Josh M. said...

I'm an amateur burger connoisseur. Today I went to the Five Guys in Daytona Beach for about the third or fourth time. Every time I go, I think it must be a freak incident that the burger meat itself has essentially no flavor on it's own, almost entirely taking on the flavor of the toppings. This restaurant has such a great reputation, so I just searched online to see if I'm crazy, and lo and behold, I see lots of other people giving the same kind of feedback. And to add insult to injury, everything is ridiculously expensive!! Over $10 for a bacon cheeseburger, small fries, and a water. And to make matters worse, the service took way, way too long (roughly 8-10 minutes to be served). I went back to the counter before I left to get a new paper bag to take my fries home, and I stood there in front of a slew of employees ignoring me for about 5 solid minutes. This was my last visit to Five Guys.

If you want a good burger, like the blogger says, go to The Brickyard in Daytona Beach. Or, if you can make the trip to Port Orange, there is a restaurant called The Daily Grind that will knock your socks off. They were rated #1 burger (and hotdog) in the city (or maybe it was the county) by the local newspaper. Mark my words, you can't go wrong with either The Brickyard or The Daily Grind, but in my humble opinion... Five Guys is an expensive 'blegh'.