Sunday, September 5, 2010

Havana Cuba Restaurant


Havana Cuba Restaurant
210 N. Woodland Blvd.
DeLand, FL 32720
(386)736-7726
www.planetdeland.com/havanacuba

In posts past I have commented on the plethora of independently owned restaurants located in DeLand. I continue to be amazed with the number of these restaurants and the good food that they serve. Unintentionally, my friend Kelly has seemed to become my DeLand restaurant dining partner. She and I have discovered a few places and have also failed to find some locations we were looking for, but that is the beauty of having so many choices. Recently, Kelly told me about a small Cuban location called Havana Cuba that we needed to check out. Since I am always ready for a new food adventure and love Cuban food, I immediately agreed.

Kelly and I arrived at Havana Cuba just a little before noon and it is a good thing that we did. The restaurant is small and cozy with seating for about 30. As soon as we sat down we were greeted by our waitress who took our drink orders. We ordered sodas, but it should be noted they do have a selection of Cuban sodas available. I thought that was a great touch that added to the authenticity of the place and made a mental note to try one on my next visit. For lunch, I ordered the Cuban Sandwich and Kelly ordered Arroz con Pollo, chicken with yellow rice. After taking our order our waitress took our ticket to a gentleman sitting at a table with a couple of other people and he went straight to the kitchen. The restaurant began to fill with others while we waited for our food and chatted. It wasn't ten minutes before our waitress returned with our food. This was really quick service.

I ordered the full sandwich, but will tell you a half would have been plenty. As a matter of fact, their special that day was a half of sandwich with a side of black beans and rice. I did order a side of beans and rice, but with a full sandwich it was way too much food. The portions here are generous. Kelly's chicken and rice looked outstanding and she confirmed my suspicions by saying it tasted really good. My sandwich was packed with ham, pork and cheese with a great Cuban bread pressed just right. The beans were flavorful and the rice fluffy and hot. We were very pleased with our food. Our waitress came back to check on us often and kept our glasses full.

It appears this restaurant is family owned with everyone pitching in. While it is small, they serve up food that is big on flavor and size. If you enjoy Cuban food and like a nice, family atmosphere when you dine out, you have to check out Havana Cuba Restaurant. I know I'll be back often.

For my first visit to Havana Cuba Restaurant, I give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: