Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Red Iguana


Red Iguana
736 West North Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
(801)322-4834
www.rediguana.com

Last September I was in Salt Lake City for a convention and had one thing on my agenda. Get to the Red Iguana and have dinner. However, upon arrival we were told there was a 45 minute to an hour wait for a table. I would have waited, but there were other people in our party that didn't want to wait. On this trip, we only had to wait a short five or 10 minutes before being seated.

Red Iguana is a cozy place with a lot of tables scattered around the restaurant. Dave and I were ushered to a table near a window not far from the entrance. Since I was facing the door, it was clear that our decision to get there early had really paid off. I watched as the crowd of people waiting for a table grew steadily. Given that it was a rather cool evening, many elected to just stand in the small space near the door. When we had tried to go there last September, there was probably 25 people waiting outside for their names to be called. This place is extremely popular. It probably doesn't hurt that they were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives a little while back.

Our waitress brings us a basket of chips and salsa while taking our drink orders. We both ordered a beer and began to review the menu. Originally, I went in thinking I was going to order the mole', but ended-up changing my mind. The burritos looked so good they went to the top of my list. Dave ordered the Mexican Platter with chili verde burrito, hard taco and tostado. I ordered beef burritos with a side of refried beans. My order was not listed just as beef burritos, but had a more authentic name. I should have written it down, but I can tell you, it was the last burrito listed on the menu. I point this out because these were the best burritos I have ever had in my life.

Two things hit you when your food is delivered at Red Iguana. The first is the wonderful aroma rising from the plate and the second is that this is a lot of food. This proved especially daunting for me since I had just eaten a gyro as an appetizer before getting to dinner. My first bite of the burrito can only be described as pure nirvana. The depth and complexity of flavors were like nothing I had ever tasted before. The beef was so tender and the sauce just exploded with spices and a richness that blew me away. I thought to myself that this is life changing Mexican food. Each bite seemed to bring another punch of flavor and spices. While it was really good, I just could not finish the entire plate. Dave said his food was fantastic as well.

This food is enough to motivate a person to become so fabulously wealthy that they can afford their own private jet and use it continuously for trips across country to the Red Iguana. I really don't know what I would do if I lived close to this restaurant. I will definitely being going back. It should also be noted that Red Iguana 2 has now opened not too far away at 866 W. South Temple.

For my visit to Red Iguana, I have to give them five Stiffy's. Do yourself a favor and go to this restaurant if you find yourself in Salt Lake City. You will not be disappointed.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

dcope said...

The food was great, and I didn't even do my homework. I should have watched the Diners Drive Ins and Dives video before we went there. I watched them make "Tacos Don Ramon" and I am speechless.

Maybe I'll call this a late Valentine's Day dinner for Pam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2wT54QZJVI

Stiff Competition said...

You outdid yourself this time Dave. It was a fantastic couple of days for me in Salt Lake City.