Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Taco Bell's - Volcano Taco


After seeing so many of the commercials for the new Volcano Taco at Taco Bell, I felt like I just had to try one. Now I am not a big fan of the hard shell taco, but I am a huge fan of hot and spicy food, so this was a no-brainer. My buddy Gary was coming over to watch last night's Vikings/Packers debacle with me and said he was going to pick-up some of the tacos for our taste test.
I don't eat at Taco Bell very much, in fact I probably haven't been there in 5-10 years. There just isn't anything on their menu that excites me and there is not a restaurant close enough for me to hit when I get the late night munchies. Gary shows up and we get right after the tacos figuring if these things are going to be any good, you have to eat them at their warmest temperature. The shell on these tacos are red and look a little strange at first, but they are filled with meat, sauce, lettuce and cheese. I take my first couple of bites and can feel a little bit of the heat. After a couple of more bites the heat starts to build a bit, but really isn't anything that I would call volcanic. It is clear that the heat from these tacos is in the cheese sauce, which I imagine is supposed to be the lava in this taco. If this cheese sauce was lava there would still be a city called Pompeii. Yes, it is spicy, but you would never throw a Pepsi in your face the way the guy does on the commercial.
This is another example of marketign overselling a product with a snappy name and good creative. For those that don't eat a lot of hot and spicy foods this taco will probably suffice, but true heat aficionados will think this falls way short. It is spicy for a fast food restaurant that has to cater to the taste buds of the majority. I know that I will not be eating another one.
I give the volcano taco two Stiffys and would urge people to try it only if they have had a few beers and there is nothing else open at the time.
Eat, drink and be merry!
Harry

2 comments:

John Spencer Adams said...

I tried one this weekend. As a fast food chain that builds it's business on mass audience, I think they have to dumb down the spice a little bit. It's definitely too tame for you though.

I'm a fan of Taco Bell for fourthmeal and recommend the Baja Steak Chalupa and the Crunchwrap Supreme if you want to give the Bell another go.

Stiff Competition said...

John,

Thanks for the comments and the recommendations. My biggest hurdle regarding Taco Bell as my fourthmeal is really location. There isn't a Taco Bell near me when it is time for fourthmeal. Krystal usually fills that void for me.