Friday, September 19, 2008

Blue Smoke

116 E. 27th Street, between Park and Lexington

One of the best BBQ restaurants in New York City is called Blue Smoke. I have heard about this place for some time and finally got to go during this visit to the city. It is everything I was hoping it would be.

We went there for lunch and found the place to be really hopping. The place was jumping with a few tables still open. We were seated promptly and I noticed that as we waited for our drinks the restaurant really started to fill up. Speaking of the drinks, the young lady we were with ordered ice tea and I immediately thought, "Lets see what kind of barbeque place this really is." I asked the waitress, "Do you have sweet tea." I am sure you know that answers I got. She told me that they didn't have sweet tea, but I could put sugar in it. I took that as a red flag, but didn't have to worry.

While they didn't have sweet tea, the rest of the meal was truly a real barbeque experience. Nick and our dining companion ordered pulled pork sandwiches and I ordered the rib samper with macaroni and cheese. We also ordered some barbeque potato chips with blue cheese dip as an appetizer. The meals showed up before the appetizer, but we shook it off and got after it.

The rib sampler consisted of two Mempis ribs, two Kansas City ribs and two Texas Ribs. All were extremely good with plenty of meat, but the true winner this day was the side of macaroni and cheese I ordered. If you go, you have to order the macaroni and cheese. Our waitress also suggested the collard greens, but I was getting on a flight later that day and didn't want to be all jammed-up. The macaronit and cheese was creamy, hot and full of great cheese. I will definitely be having that again.

Nick said the pulled pork was great, but a little fatty. I don't know of any pulled pork sandwich that isn't a little fatty, but that is just me. They did have great sauces on the table and even brought out some large wet naps after the meal for everybody to clean up. This was a great experience.

The Blue Smoke also has a jazz club up on the second floor that I bet would be a great experience after an evening meal. Too bad I decided to hit this place for lunch. My guess is this would be a great date spot.

For the first time ever, I am going to give Blue Smoke five Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: