Thursday, October 9, 2008

Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que



Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que
447 East Rochambeau
Williamsburg, VA 23185
(757)565-2955


I recently spent a couple of weeks in Tidewater Virginia and had the opportunity to visit Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que in Williamsburg. During my visit, the Today Show was filming from Colonial Williamsburg doing a segment on the election and how important Virginia is to the outcome. At one point in the show, Willard Scott told Al Roker that he had to get to Pierce's while he was in town. The next day, Willard called him on it again and asked if he had a chance to get to Pierce's. That's how good this place is if you like great barbeque.

Pierce's specializes in their pulled pork sandwiches. Their barbeque is a vinegar based sauce with meat that is slow smoked and full of flavor. The sandwiches come in a regular and large size and you can get your sandwich with cole slaw on the bun or without. I suggest you get it without if you are not a fan of cole slaw, but the sandwich is really money with the cole slaw on the bun. The sweetness of the cole slaw balances nicely with the vinegar in the sauce.
If you order a basket you also a side dish, which I strongly suggest you get the fries. The fries come in a bag and are always hot and fresh. They are a great compliment to the sandwich. Pierce's also makes great sweet tea, which you will find at the drink station while you wait on your order to be prepared. Pierce's is one of those restaurants where you place your order and then get your drinks and try to find a table. Seating here is ample, but because this place is always busy it can be tough to get a seat inside. If you know me, you know that I am not a big fan of eating outside when I can be inside with the comfort of air conditioning on a hot, sunny day. I do have to say that people rotate in and out at a pretty steady pace, so you need to stay on your toes watching for a table to come open while waiting for your order to be prepared and announced over the loud speaker. Because Pierce's is located right off the interstate in such a popular vacation destination, many folks have found this place and crowd it everyday. If you do have to sit outside, you should find plenty of seating at the many picnic tables scattered around the property.
Because I tend to be a creature of habit at some restaurants, I have never tried anything else at Pierce's besides the pulled pork. The next time I visit, I promise to give the ribs a try and report on that after my visit. It should be noted that you can enjoy Pierce's even if you do not make it to Williamsburg as they do offer their pulled pork in four pound tubs via the mail. Pierce's claims that one pound of pulled pork will make four sandwiches, so a four pound tub will keep you in Q Heaven for a few days.
Being a long time favorite I have to give Pierce's the ultimate in my grading system of five Stiffy's. Try to check them out soon. I promise you will not be disappointed.
Eat, drink and be merry!
Harry

1 comment:

John said...

I remember many trips to Pierce's during my days in the 'burg. It's definitely worth all five Stiffy's!