Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Smokehouse

State Road 46

Sanford, FL

Next to the BJ's Location



Let me start by saying sorry for not being able to post more often recently. I have been doing quite a bit of traveling helping my father after losing my mother three weeks ago. Hopefully, things will begin to return to normal and I will have the opportunity to post more often and in a perfect world, daily.

Recently, I received a recommendation to eat at a restaurant not far from the office in Sanford called quite simply, Smokehouse. Not The Smokehouse, not Ellie Mae's Smokehouse, not even Jimmy Mack's Smokehouse, just Smokehouse. I should have known this was going to be a stretch, but it did come recommended by members of my design team at work. They know my fickleness when it comes to restaurants, so it was quite a stretch for them to make a recommendation. Although, one of the team members that will remain nameless (Elizabeth), recently slammed me on my choice of Macaroni Grill as the spot for our annual team lunch.

On this particular day, I am accompanied by Nick and Trey. Mind you, Trey doesn't go out with us often as he is steadfast on his commitment to fitness and many of our lunches do not fit into this category. It becomes even more impotrant that the meal is good since we don't want Trey to find another reason not to join us at lunch.

My first clue that we might be in trouble is when we get out of the car and I do not smell smoke. How can a place called Smokehouse, not be tickling my nose with the sweet smell of hickory or mesquite upon exiting the car? The second clue is uncovered when we get out of the car near the back of the restaurant. I notice that there is no wood stacked-up to feed what I think must be their smoker. This is going to be interesting.

We go in and I notice that they have a nice theme inside. It is a lot of wood floors, with vintage type signage all over the walls. They have a full bar if you want to have a drink, which is a good thing. You order your food, get your own drink and then take a table. A server then brings you your food. On this day, we all decided to try the pulled pork sandwich. I went with the sweet tea for my drink, which I have to admit was excellent.

In a rather timely manner, our food was delivered and the waitress asked if we knew about their sauces. We asked if they had a hot sauce and she said she would get us some. We meant a hot barbeque sauce, but what we got was a ramakin of pure hot sauce. That just doesn't cut it. The fries were hot and good and the bun on the sandwich was nice and soft. However, the meat did not have a smokey flavor at all and was devoid of any flavor that one would call barbeque.

At one point the manager was walking around the restaurant and I told Nick I wanted to ask him to take me in the back and let me see his smoker. Nick thought that question sexual connotations and would get me thrown out, so I never did find out if they have a smoker for their meat.

I may give this place another chance, but I seriously doubt it. I was warned by Kraig that it wasn't good and should have listened, but his warning came just a few days after they opened and I thought maybe they had gotten their stuff together.


I have to give Smokehouse one Stiffey and urge you to find another spot for barbeque in Sanford.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: