Saturday, November 1, 2008

Famous Philly's


Nova Road and Ridgewood Avenue
Port Orange, FL

Finally, I had the opportunity today to get back to Famous Philly's in Port Orange to write about them in this blog. I have been going to this location for a few years now since I was turned onto it by a co-worker from International Speedway Corporation. To get to Famous Philly's, take Nova Road from Daytona Beach all the way to the end in Port Orange, where it intersects with Ridgewood Avenue. You'll come to the end and find the restaurant directly ahead of you on the other side of the intersection. Please do not judge this place by the looks on the outside. If you do, you will miss one of the best cheesesteak sandwiches I have ever found outside of the great city of Philadelphia itself. I have been to both Pat's and Geno's and have yet to declare one my favorite over the other. With life being so short, why not enjoy the best of everything?

I have been telling my brother, who lives in Orlando, about Famous Philly's since my first visit. I thought I was going to be able to take him last week when he came over, but it just didn't work out. The stars finally aligned today and we were able to go for lunch.

We arrived around 12:30 and there was already a pretty good crowd for a Saturday. I teased my brother about sitting outside when we passed this little table that is clearly used for smokers going outside for a smoke. He wasn't having any of it. We took a seat in the back near all of the wide screen televisions. It should be noted here that Famous Philly's is also a key location in Florida for Philadelphia Eagles fans and after talking to the waitress, she told us it was crazy there during all of the Phillies' World Series games. This place is the real deal.

The cheesesteaks at Famous Philly's are available in 7", 9" and 18" sizes. We both ordered the 9" version and a basket of fries to share. Famous Philly's offers chopped steak and cheese selections of White American, Provolone, Cheez Wiz and Swiss. We both went with White American and mushrooms. As anybody knows, the key to a perfect cheesesteak is the roll. Famous Philly's uses rolls from Amoroso's from Philadelphia. I think Amoroso's also supplies rolls to Pat's and Geno's. These are the best rolls for a cheesesteak.

Our sandwiches showed-up after a very short wait and were hot and tasty. At Famous Philly's, they blend the cheese in with the meat making sure you get a taste of both in every bite. Our waitress was friendly and attentive, coming back to the table a couple of times to see if we needed anything. The french fries were hot and delicious as well. I am going to have to try a steak with Cheez Whiz the next time I am there, but it is always so hard to deviate from what you know is good when you get there as infrequently as I do. With any luck, I'll try to get back within a couple of weeks.

If you find yourself in the Daytona Beach area, I strongly urge you to make a stop by Famous Philly's in Port Orange. My guess is you don't want to go on a Sunday when the Eagles are playing unless you get there good and early. It is surely to be quite crowded as Philly fans are the most loyal of all fans.

I give my visit today to Famous Philly's five Stiffey's!

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

3 comments:

John said...

As a Philadelphia native and now NSB resident I can attest to Famous Philly's as well. Harry is on the money with a five Stiffey rating. It's excellent!

Ranchrunner said...

Joey T who owns the place is a jack a--! He bought a house in Rolling hills and never paid the payments and striped the house to the drywall-$700k+ home that sold in foreclosure for #400k-I wouldn't pi-- on him if he was on fire! Tell him to come by and see me so I can kick his fat a--!
Ranchrunner-you know me Harry!

Stiff Competition said...

Oh yeah, I know the Ranchrunner. LOL