Friday, March 26, 2010

Calvary Christian Academy


Calvary Christian Academy
1687 West Granada Boulevard
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
www.calvarychristiancenter.com/CCA

So this is a little bit different from what readers may be used to, but hey, I actually ate here today and feel the need to report on it.

Today was "Lunch with Daddy" and the book fair at Kennedy's school. The one thing that jams me up with these events is that Kennedy has lunch at 10:30 in the morning. That is just too early for me to do lunch, but I hung in there and made it happen. I had the pleasure of eating lunch today with not only Kennedy, but her friends Hailey and Jasmine. We were all at a table together and I have to tell you there is nothing better than having lunch with three beautiful eight-year-olds.

Today, they were having hamburgers and cheeseburgers with French fries. I came through the cafeteria line and was abandoned by Kennedy as she took off to go get a table and seats. She brought her lunch from home and was having sushi today. Yes, she is her daddy's daughter and has already showed her penchant for being a future food snob. She leaves me and the woman behind the counter asks if I want a hamburger or cheeseburger. Of course, I go cheeseburger. She reaches below the counter and serves up a cheeseburger to me with nothing on it. I see some lettuce and tomato behind the counter and ask if I can have some and they tell me sure, and to come into the kitchen to get it. They explain to me that if they put it out, the kids will just mess over it, so they have it available if you just ask. I can appreciate that move on their part. As I am fixing my burger, I cannot help noticing there are a number of burgers on the grill, which obviously are very hot. I can see that the burger she has given me is not as hot as these and for a moment think about asking her if I can have one of those. I decide not to ask and stick with what I have. She doesn't know I am a food snob and I don't want to be a pain in the butt. However, it made me think about a quote I really like. In the words of the great French author and critic, Andre Gide, "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not." I am a food snob. What can I tell you?

I find the condiment counter and get my mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper and head to the table. Once I sit down, I fix my burger up with all my condiments and go for my first bite. As suspected, the burger was a little cooler than I would have liked, but I have to tell you, it tasted pretty good. The cheese was melted, the meat was pretty good and it wasn't overcooked. On top of that, the fries were very hot and crispy and had a great flavor. I started thinking that if that meal can be had for a couple of bucks, I might be back there more often. It was much better than I expected or remember from my school days. The best thing about the lunch was the time spent with Kennedy, Hailey and Jasmine. Hailey had a pack of crackers with Vanilla Creme filling and I got to listen to the girls talk about how they had spelled creme wrong on the packaging. I tried to explain to them that "cream" means a liquid form and "creme" means an icing type form, but I don't think they believed me. It is amazing that they really only believe anything their teachers tell them about spelling and such. I really love spending time with these kids and it totally made my experience.

For my first visit to the Calvary Christian Academy cafeteria, I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

Begs said...

Four? If any meal deserved the coveted "Five Stiffy's," this was it.

Stiff Competition said...

You are probably right when you consider my company and the chance to eat with Kennedy. However, the burger could have just been hotter. I am jammed-up with myself in that I didn't notice the microwave they had until I was just about done eating my burger.