Friday, March 26, 2010

Ker's Winghouse Bar and Grill


Ker's Winghouse
2721 W. International Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386)252-8710
www.winghouse.com

Let me start this post by applauding Crawford Ker on going head-to-head with his main competitor, Hooter's in attempt to own the hot girls serving hot wings space in the state of Florida. If you have ever been to one of his stores, you will notice the locations seem to be much nicer than many of the Hooter's locations, the girls younger and hotter and the food better. You can tell this is an ex-athlete that is serious about what he is doing. We are lucky here in Daytona Beach in that we have one site on the mainland side of town and another on beach side. While I have not been to the beach side location, I am looking forward to my first visit.

The Winghouse is a great spot to check-out sports and gets some great wings. I had that opportunity a couple of weeks ago when my buddy Chasse decided we needed to meet for lunch. It was the first day of March Madness and I thought there was no way we would get in there, but we were able to get a table pretty quickly. Actually, I was able to get a table. I got there first and was met by my other buddy Eric and we waited on Chasse. Seems he was in the car on a phone call right out front the entire time. I never saw him as I walked in.


We finally got settled and placed our drink orders. Chasse and Eric both ordered wings. They ordered their wings hot and naked and hot Dallas naked. (I know this now, but didn't know this when they were delivered.) They also ordered some grilled wrap, which they were going to split. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger medium rare with French fries. We were sitting there shooting the shit for a few minutes when Eric got a call on his cellphone. Like any respectable person, he took his phone call outside so as not to disturb the rest of the people around us. While he was gone, one of the waitresses showed up at the table and said, "Ten wings hot and ten wings hot." Chasse said, "Yeah, right here and over here. He is out on a phone call." After the waitress left the table, Chasse noticed his wings were not naked as ordered. Also, he wasn't sure what Eric had ordered and I couldn't help him out either. We call the young lady back to the table and tell her we don't think these are the wings they ordered. She says, "That was the order I told you when I came to the table." But you could tell from the look on her face that what she really wanted to say was, "That's the ordered I told you when I came to the table, Dickhead." This is where things can get a little bit shitty at these hot girl restaurants. These girls think they can do no wrong. She didn't announce that the wings were breaded and that would have told Chasse she was delivering wings to the wrong table. She only announced the flavors that were right, but it was our fault now that she had delivered the wrong wings. She took them away, but we could tell there wouldn't be anymore love from her coming to us that day.

They finally get the orders right and deliver all of our food. Eric comes back to the table after missing all of the action and we start to dig in. My burger totally missed the medium rare mark and was well done. However, that is not what jammed me up the most. I can only tell you that my experience with my burger and the bacon on it reminds me of something that Yogi Berra said about pizza. Yogi Berra said, "Pizza is like sex. When it it good it is very good and even when it is bad, it is still pretty good." That does not hold true for bacon. It is hard to screw-up bacon, but my bacon on my burger was burnt. That totally crushed it for me. There is nothing worse that having bacon with burned edges. At least in my book. The fries I had were extremely hot and tasty, but the burger was hurting by being overcooked and served with burnt bacon. I was a bit surprised as I have had good burgers here before. I must have caught them on a bad day.

We all finished our meals and thought it all was about average, which was a shame given that it was the first day of March Madness. Kind of started our tournament off on a bad note. I knew at that point my brackets were doomed.

I have to give Ker's Winghouse three Stiffy's for my last visit. Hopefully, I'll have better luck the next time I get back there.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: