Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chick-fil-A Spicy Chicken Deluxe Sandwich


A couple of weeks ago I received an invitation to try the Chick-fil-A Spicy Chicken Sandwich before it actually went on sale. If you are on Facebook or Twitter, you probably saw the same offer from one of your friends or followers. I picked my date and time to pick-up my sandwich, but on the appointed day, something came up and I didn't make the trip. Yesterday, my friend Kelly asked me if I had tried the sandwich yet and when I told her I hadn't, she said, "You have to go get one." Since Kelly has never steered me wrong regarding food, I figured today would be a great time to give it a try for lunch.

After running my appointed errands late this morning, I headed to the local Chick-fil-A in Ormond Beach. Given today's heat index of over 100 degrees, my mind was made up that the drive-thru was the only way to go. You've probably read my comments here about my drive-thru experiences and know this decision was not taken lightly. However, I will tell you Chick-fil-A is probably the most reliable in the QSR industry when it comes to speed and accuracy of delivering your order. I was pleasantly surprised to see on the menu board that Chick-fil-A offers their spicy chicken sandwich in the regular format of their chicken sandwiches and a deluxe version. The deluxe version includes lettuce, tomato, and a slice of pepper jack cheese. I ordered the meal, which included fries and a Coke and headed home.

When I got home and opened my sandwich to put mayonnaise on the bun, I immediately noticed two things. The first was how buttery and soft the bun was and secondly, how incredibly green and fresh the lettuce was. I find it rare when you get lettuce from a QSR on your sandwich and it isn't light green or white in color. This was a refreshing surprise. I take my first bite into the sandwich and got another pleasant surprise. When you first bite into this sandwich you can taste the spice right away, but then suddenly, you taste the all too familiar flavor of the original Chick-fil-A sandwich. It seems as if Chick-fil-A has added spices to their original spice mix to achieve the heat level they want, but maintaining the integrity of their original sandwich. It reminded me of an old friend suddenly showing up at your house when you least expected them. It was great! The sandwich has great spicy flavor, but the lettuce and tomato add a nice cooling effect to counter the pepper jack cheese and the spices. It wasn't too hot while I was eating it, but I noticed a nice burn that lingered on my tongue after I had finished the sandwich. This will probably be my new spot for spicy chicken sandwiches forever. So long Wendy's!

If you like spicy chicken and you have always been a fan of Chick-fil-A, you have to try this sandwich. I promise you will not be disappointed. For my visit to Chick-fil-A today, I have to give them four very solid Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry! By the way, Lakers win!

Harry

1 comment:

Kraig said...

No Chick-fil-a's near here. Have to get one when I come down in September.