Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mel's Hot Dogs


Mel's Hot Dogs
4136 E. Busch Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33617
(813)985-8000
www.melshotdogs.com

In 1982, I piled into a car with three of my fellow coworkers from Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, with the goal of reaching Tampa, FL safely. We planned to visit Busch Gardens, Tampa, party our butts off and chase a little Yellowtail at the USF campus. Unbeknownst to me, my future wife at the time was a 15-year-old high school freshman residing just down the street from my Bacchanalian shenanigans. Sometime during the week of our visit one of the young ladies told us she was going to take us to get the best hot dog we had ever eaten. She took us to a place called, Mel's Hot Dogs. Last September, my wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary and I can tell you that Mel's Hot Dogs is still selling some of the best Chicago Style Vienna Beef hot dogs around. It is kind of funny how things come full circle.

I had to go to Tampa this week for an interview and one of the top things on my mind was hitting Mel's while I was there. I got there around 2:00 and found that the usual lunch crowd was long gone. In fact, there were only two tables occupied upon my arrival. Mel's has plenty of seating and is usually crowded during the prime lunch and dinner times, so I considered myself lucky.

I ordered a couple of Mel's chili dogs as a basket, which includes fries and cole slaw. Mel's has a very extensive menu with a dog to satisfy every one's palate. I sat down, checked messages on my phone and waited for my name to be called. My order came up within about five minutes and I couldn't have been happier. However, when I took my first bite, I found my chili dogs didn't have mustard or onions as described on the menu board. I guess I was supposed to mention that in my order, but if the menu board says that is what it comes with, I don't think the customer needs to specifically mention all of the elements they want on their dog. That's going to cost them a Stiffy for sure.

Anyway, Mel's serves all of their dogs on soft, steamed poppy seed rolls just like they do in Chicago. The hot dog had a wonderful snap to it and the chili was flavorful. I went to the condiment counter and put on my own mustard. The fries were hot, crispy and flavorful as well. Usually, I am not much of a cole slaw guy, but theirs was really good. Not too much mayonnaise and just enough crunch from the cabbage and carrot slices to make the slaw really solid. My meal was so tasty I had to celebrate it by purchasing one of their Mel's t-shirts.

If you find yourself in Tampa, you have to stop by Mel's Hot Dogs. If you like hot dogs, I promise you will not be disappointed. After I arrived I noticed a number of tourists that came in to eat. Mel's is located right next to Busch Gardens, so I am sure people from all over the world find this little piece of hot dog heaven.

For my visit to Mel's Hot Dogs, I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

1 comment:

TampaBayBuckeye said...

I love Mel's Hot Dogs!