Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Amurra - Lake Mary, FL

Last week we went to Amurra for a going away dinner for one of our ad sales guys from our Toronto office. Drew we are going to miss you. This guy was great and has a great sense of humor. I am hoping I will have the opportunity to break bread with him again in the future.

Attending the dinner with me was Begs, Drew as the guest of honor and Marlaine. I don't get a chance to eat with Marlaine much as she is in excellent physical shape and would not eat at most of the places we go to for lunch, but does work with us. I have to take a moment to tell a funny story about Marlaine.

Occaisionally, we do cook-outs at our office for the employees. It is the typical burger and hot dog fare, so nothing really special, but a good free lunch for employees none the less. For this particular cook-out, Marlaine says she will help me go shopping for all of the food we need, for which I am grateful. We go into the local BJ's Club and start making our purchases. At one point we realize we are not going to be able to get all we need at this location. Marlaine volunteers again to help out and go to Wal-Mart to get the remaining provisions that are needed while I head to the liquor store to pick-up the keg. Yes, we do have beer sometime for our cook-outs. That's how we roll!

One of the things I need Marlaine to get are hot dogs. When she returns I am already setting up the grill and beginning to cook. Burgers go on first of course as hot dogs won't need to take as long on the grill. Marlaine gives me the hot dogs and I start putting them on the grill. I don't recall exactly how it happens, but at some point I notice the packaging and she has bought chicken hot dogs. Are you freakin' kidding me? You shouldn't be able to even call chicken or turken meat in a tube a hot dog. Hot dogs are made of beef or pork. If you can't suck it up for one day and enjoy yourself a little bit, have a salad. This type of trickery cannot should not be tolerated. I didn't give her too much of a hard time as she was a big help to me and I know she means well. However, I now know I can't send her to get meat in the future.

Sorry for the diversion, but I felt you needed to know a little about Marlaine and hear that story. Anyway, we are at Amurra for some sushi and drinks and this restaurant has never disappointed me. Marlaine and Drew order sushi, but Begs and I go a different route. I get the Chilean Seabass and I think Begs gets some steak. Everything comes out great and we are thoroughly pleased. The sushi is fresh according to Marlaine and Drew, the steak great according to Begs and my fish is wonderful. Begs and I also get after some fried calamari with a spicy dipping sauce and it is incredible. I also started with some lobster bisque. I find the soup to be extremely flavorful with good size chunks of lobster and a nice creamy texture. As a huge soup afficianado, I strongly recommend you try it.

Amurra also houses a room with a Japanese steakhouse, so there are many options for you if you like Japanese food. I have eaten there before where they cook right at the table and it is great. I'll get more in depth about that if I have the opportunity to each in such a fashion in the near future.

I strongly encourage you to visit Amurra if you find yourself in Lake Mary and are interested in some great Asian fare.

I have to give my visit to Amurra last week four Stiffys!

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

John Spencer Adams said...

The wife and I love Amura and count it as our favorite Orlando sushi restaurant. They have huge rolls that are creative and tasty. Our favorites are the Volcano Roll, Spicy Bubba Roll, Napoleon Roll, and Godzilla Roll. Their Seaweed Salad is also top notch. Great call on this restaurant. Arguably worth that 5th Stiffy if you were to compare it to all of the other sushi restaurants in town.

Joey Chestnut said...

Sorry bout your unnecessary healthy hot dog experience, you are correct that chicken hot dogs have no place on the grill especially on Free Cookout Friday.. I've heard they only make good bait if you are dumb enough to get up on a Sat at 5am to go fishing.

As long as my $1000 check cashes for the referral, I can only recommend more of my incompetent friends.

Reason # 3.14159 that the Sanford office nothing positive good to offer me except good lunches out on the town our this crew!!