Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hampton's Restaurant - Daytona Beach, FL

I recently took the family to Hampton's Restaurant in Daytona Beach for breakfast and it was great! This place is the best kept secret in Daytona Beach. It is off the tourist path of International Speedway Boulevard and located in the "hood." However, it is a bit strange. While it is in the "hood" it has a very redneck feel to it. As a matter of fact, one time when I was there picking-up some chicken, I actually had a guy drop the N-word on me. This happens often to me as I am light-skinned with wavy/curly hair and of large stature. Most people think I am Hawaiian. That's when I drop my line, "Do you mind if I use that in my book?" They ask me if I am writing a book and what it is called? I tell them, "Things White People Say When They Think There Are No Black People Around." You should see their faces. LOL

Anyway, we go to breakfast and I order eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and a short stack. My wife gets her poached eggs, bacon and toast and my daughter on this day just wants some eggs, bacon and cinammon toast. Everything comes out in a timely manner and is prepared perfectly. The food is great. We were able to get in and sit immediately, something you can't do over on ISB at those restaurants and had great service. This has become my favorite Daytona Beach breakfast location.

I have to tell you that Hampton's is really known for it's fried chicken. Their fried chicken is so good that I haven't been to see the Colonel in years. I go there often to pick-up a 12-piece and head home. They have great sides as well with some of my friends raving about their macaroni and cheese. I decided to try it one day and was disappointed. My feelings about their macaroni and cheese stem from the fact that I make a macaroni and cheese that is so good it will make you want to kick your mama in the neck.

I strongly urge you to forget about the fact that Hampton's is in the "hood" located at the corner of Mason and Derbyshire and get there as soon as you can. Don't expect much in regards to decor, but if you are looking for a home cooked meal like mama used to make, this is pretty darned close.

I have to give my last visit to the Hampton's three Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: