Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Bubbalou's Bodacious Barbecue - Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been having some issues recently with my internet connectivity at the house causing me to fall a little behind in my posting. This post is in regards to a visit I had last week to Bubbalou's Bodacious Barbecue.

A bunch of our guys in the office were going to a lunch to celebrate a coworker's birthday, so Nick and I decided to take it on the road a bit and have some barbecue. Along the way, we had to stop to pick-up Nick's credit card that he left the day before at the Peach Valley Cafe. Now you may be wondering why there is no report here about the Peach Valley Cafe. That would be due to the fact that Kraig and I were foillowing Fourth Meal with Nick and Sebastian on board when he pulls a Mario Andretti on us and leaves in the wrong lane. We had no idea where they were going so we went to lunch somewhere else and they went to Peach Valley Cafe. More on this location when I finally get to visit in the very near future.

After retrieving Nick's credit card we headed down to Altamonte Springs for some barbecue. Our trip was a little jammed-up because of a strong rain storm that came in as we were headed there, so that hampered us a bit, but we finally made it. Once there we were greeted by the sweet smell of smoke coming from the smoker. These guys have some of the best barbecue in the Orlando area as well as at least four locations that I am aware of.

I ordered the large pork basket which consists of a good portion of sliced pork on a large, soft hamburger bun, french fries and baked beans. They also have an efficient way of ordering and delivering your food to you. Once you have placed your order, they give you a large wooden spoon with a number on it and you take it to your table. They then bring out your food while walking around the restaurant looking for your particular number. Service is very fast with you usually getting your meal about five to ten minutes after you have gotten your drink. Fountain drinks are self-serve here with bottles of soda and beer available at the register.

Back to our meal. As stated, I had the sliced pork and Nick had a pulled pork sandwich. Bubbalou's is one of those places that I go to infrequently enough that I am never interested in trying something new, since I am usually craving the sliced pork. The pork has a wonderful smoky flavor and is tender and juicy. Fries and beans are both served hot in just the right portions.

The one thing that makes this trip extra special is Bubbalou's signature sauces. Given that I enjoy hot, spicy food. I always try to go as hot as possible. On the table is a round cake pan with ketchup, salt and pepper, sweet sauce, mild sauce, hot sauce and the infamous Killer sauce. I completely slather my sandwich in the Killer sauce and then have a good sweat with my meal. This sauce is really hot and not for the faint of heart. Legend has it that they also make a Psycho sauce that they keep in the kitchen. A friend told me that he asked for it and workers from the kitchen actually came to the table to watch him eat it. I am going to have to step-up soon and will share that experience with you when I do.

Nick says his pulled pork is as good as the sliced pork I am enjoying, so overall this has been well worth the trip. Satisfied, I wipe the sweat off my face with about a packet of napkins and we start making our way back to the office. I don't know how the birthday lunch went, but if they stayed in Sanford, it couldn't have been as great as our trip.

I have to give Bubbalou's Bodacious Barbecue four Stiffy's.

Please try this place or one of their other locations on Lee Road in Winter Park, Kirkman Drive in the Metro West area and near UCF. I apologize, but I do not know where that location is specifically located.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: