Friday, July 24, 2009

The ChiDog



The ChiDog
Hot Dogs & SnoBalls
210 S. Cental Avenue
Flagler Beach, FL 32136 (One block west of pier)
386.693.4931
www.thechidog.com

My buddy Gary lives in Flagler Beach and has been telling me I need to come up and join him for some hotdogs at The ChiDog. He took me by there a while ago to show me where they were located, but we had not been able to go before today. I am glad he stayed on me about this place as it is well worth the short trip from Daytona Beach.

My dad and I headed out to meet Gary for lunch and beat him to the location. Their building is a nice little place with a few picnic tables outside and about eight seats inside. It is small, but hotdogs are easy enough to eat if you have to stand. When we arrived there was only one woman there having lunch. While there only one other guy came in to get his lunch and that was about it. I didn't ask, but my take on it is that the proprietors are a husband and wife team that has moved here from Chicago. When the gentleman came in wearing a White Sox hat, she asked him about the perfect game recently pitched by Mark Buehrle and whether or not he was a fan. Of course he was.

I was a little taken aback by the lack of folks visting their location on a Friday afternoon. If you like hotdogs, I implore you to visit these folks and support their business. They serve a really good hotdog. First, they have the real deal steamed poppy seed buns. Secondly, they serve Vienna Beef hotdogs. Third, they serve that vibrant bright green relish on their Chicago dogs that is so hard to find and finally, they seem to be great people trying to serve great food.

I ordered a couple of chili cheese hotdogs with mustard and oinions. My dad opted for the Polish sausage and Gary had a couple of true Chicago dogs. My only aversion to the Chicago dog is the inclusion of pickles on the dog. I know I could ask them to take them off, but then it would not be a true Chicago dog and I won't be a part of tarnishing a legend. Our food was prepared within a couple of minutes and it was pure heaven. The buns were so soft and fresh, the hotdog had the perfect snap to them and my chili was nice and flavorful. They had about six hot sauces on display and I chose a hot Caribbean sauce that gave my dogs a great kick. Gary had gotten his dogs delivered first so he was a little ahead of me when I got mine. I tried the hot sauce I put on mine and decided he needed to get another dog to sample the hot sauce on a grander scale. His third hotdog was with coleslaw, which would provide a cooling effect to the hot sauce. I couldn't be oudone and ordered myself another dog with sauer kraut and brown mustard. It was incredible! The sauer kraut had a great tangy flavor and was nice and crisp. My dad also enjoyed his Polish sausage.

I am excited about this place as my most favorite hotdog location is Mel's all the way over in Tampa. I don't get over to Tampa enough to satisfy my hotdog craving, so The ChiDog is going to fill that void. If you find yourself traveling down I-95 get off on Highway 100 and head towards the beach. After going over the intercoastal, make a right on S. Central and you will find The ChiDog about a block down the road on the right.

If you can't tell by now, I really like this place and plan to visit often. For my first visit to The ChiDog I am going to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We at The ChiDog (Deborah, Lydia, Sarah, and John) would like to thank you for your positive comments. We would love to see you come back for more dogs and to try our two new Vienna products: Italian Beef (Wednesday and Saturday only for now) and Tamales.
After the hot sauce you might want to cool down with a SnoBall. We're up to 47 mix and match flavors.

John

Stiff Competition said...

John, I'll definitely be back. Also, I stand corrected in that my buddy Gary told me you don't boil your hot dogs, but steam them. Sorry for the mistake on my part.

I have already told my daughter we are coming back to have SnoBalls. I would love to stop by the for Italian Beef and Tamales.

See you soon!