Thursday, July 23, 2009

McDonald's Big Angus

It has been a few weeks now that I have been hearing about the new burgers at McDonald's called the Big Angus. I've been meaning to go and check them out, but have just not had the opportunity until today.

The Big Angus is a third pound burger being offered in three different versions. There is a regular angus hamburger, the bacon and cheese and a mushroom and swiss version. Today I sampled the bacon and cheese version. I was really hungry today and decided to get after the poor man's surf and turf. A burger and a filet-o-fish sandwich. I definitely should not have gone for the fish sandwich as this burger brings it.

I went through the drive-thru and was all jammed-up when ordering as I was not sure what comes on these burgers. Not wanting to be one of those people that screws things up in the drive-thru line, I just ordered the bacon and cheese without knowing what comes on the burger in terms of condiments or dressing. The bacon and cheese burger actually comes with ketchup, tomato,red onion and pickles. I am not a big pickle person. (I'll have to share my pickle story with you in another post.) However, I decided in the interest of research, I should try the burger as it was meant to be presented. The meal I ordered was as a combo meal, so I got fries and a drink along with my burger.

When I got home, I decided I needed to add some mayonnaise to my sandwich and it did help tremendously. I don't think McDonald's has put mayonnaise on a sandwich since the Big N' Tasty, where the hot side stayed hot and the cool side stayed cool. I know I am dating myself as it has been a while since that burger was around. So after adding some mayo to my sandwich I was ready to dig in. I have to tell you, this sandwich is the real deal. The burger is served on a large bun with sesame seeds and the beef tastes great. Just what you would expect from an angus burger. Obviously, anything you add bacon to is going to be great and this burger did not disappoint. It was full of flavor and taste.

If I am a VP of Product Marketing for Chili's, TGIFriday's or Applebee's, I'd be worried. The combo meal at McDonald's cost me $5.99. The same thing from most of these places puts me in the $10.00 range, plus tip. (My buddy John will be pleased to hear this fact.) Plus, you get a serious meal in mere minutes and able to take it on the go. I think McDonal's will do very well with these burgers. I know I plan on going back to get after one of their mushroom and swiss burgers. This is a great burger offering in a quick service restaurant setting. I strongly urge you to check them out if you are a burger fan and looking for a true value meal.

While I do not eat at McDonald's often, I have to give them four Stiffy's for their Big Angus burger. I suggest you go out and get one soon.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

3 comments:

John said...

I had the bacon and cheese angus last night and it was definitely satisfying. And only $0.20 more than a quarter pounder it's a no-brainer!

Stiff Competition said...

Agreed! Glad you enjoyed it.

Begs said...

I always appreciate a good blog post that takes a shot at John "no tip" Henry