Friday, July 17, 2009

Stonewood Grill & Tavern


Stonewood Grill & Tavern
100 S. Atlantic Ave.
Ormond Beach, FL 32176
(386)671-1200

I recently had the opportunity to visit the Stonewood Grill & Tavern in Ormond Beach. I say I "had the opportunity" because given my employment situation right now, I have not been going out to eat as much as I would like. With that in mind, I wanted to make sure we went somewhere for a really good meal. This would make my fifth or sixth visit to a Stonewood location, so I felt confident we would get a good meal. I was not disappointed.

My wife and I arrived around 7:00 knowing we would have to wait for a table. However, this was of no concern to us since Stonewood locations have really nice bars and have martini specials on Saturday nights. This special offer has no effect on me since I was drinking scotch on this night, but it does make for some nice eye candy in the bar area. My wife and I had a great time watching Larry the Lounge Lizard hitting on all of the seemingly single women in the bar area. He was easily in his 60s, but he didn't let that bother him at all. At one point, he is ready to leave, but when he turns to go and realizes a woman has sat down in the chair behind him, he decides to stay and have another drink. This guy was truly worth the price of admission, but our buzzer went off and we had to leave to be seated.

We were taken into the restaurant and seated at a great booth by the window. Our waitress was very attentive and showed up at the table immediately upon our seating to take our drink order. We start to go through the menu and I find myself in a quandry over what to do about an appetizer. Do I go with the clam chowder or share the seared sushi grade ahi tuna with my wife? We decide to order the tuna since I know I want a steak and the chowder would probably fill me up. The waitress returns with our drink orders and we place the order for the appetizer and entrees.

The ahi tuna appetizer arrived in a timely manner and was delicious. It was sliced thin and full of flavor. The order was accompanied by a couple of dipping sauces that provided just a little bit of kick. We were very pleased with this selection. My wife ordered the filet and I had the New York strip. Both steaks were perfectly cooked and the sides of garlic mashed potatos and creamed spinach were perfect. When my steak arrived I asked the expeditor to bring me some steak sauce. He said he would be right back and in the meantime, I took a bite of my steak. It was clear that I did not need any steak sauce on this steak as the flavoring was so incredible already. It has been a long time since I have had a steak as flavorful and tender as what I found that night. My wife said her filet was incredible as well.

While we were tempted with some great desert choices, we were stuffed and decided to call it a night. I have found the Stonewood Grill & Tavern to be remarkably consistent. Previously, I have dined at the location in Lake Mary and found that to be enjoyable as well. For this last visit to the Stonewood Grill & Tavern I give them four Stiffy's. If you are looking for a nice dining experience at reasonable prices, I would have to recommend a visit to Stonewood.

Eat, drink and be merry!
Harry

No comments: