Monday, July 27, 2009

The Oyster Pub


The Oyster Pub
555 Seabreeze Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32118
386.255.6348
www.oysterpub.com

Yesterday started off well enough as I planned on meeting some friends at The Oyster Pub to watch the Brickyard 400. I cannot begin to tell you how quickly my day changed.

I met up with Kraig, Kelly, John and Gary with the intention of drinking some beers and having some food. I ordered my first Bud bottle with Kraig as we sat there waiting on the rest of the folks to show up. We really like going to The Oyster Pub as they have a lot of televisions and there are usually tons of sports fans there to make the atmosphere interesting. They have free peanuts all the time, but during the football season, you can also get brown water hot dogs for about a buck and shrimp at $.25 or $.50 per piece. Usually, we just get after some peanuts and then order wings once everyone gets there. Their grilled wings are pretty good.

John shows up and orders a Yuengling draft and Kraig and I order another beer as well. Kraig is having Michelob Ultra. The waitress brings back our beers and everything seems to be normal until I go for that first sip. When I put the bottle to my mouth, I taste the distinct taste of oysters on the bottle. How I was able to keep the beer in my mouth without spitting it out is beyond me, but I did. Figuring the bartender was also shucking oysters and tending bar, I just take a napkin and wife the offending smell off the top of the bottle. I figure this was just an anamoly as the first beer I drank was fine. I power this one down and order my third beer. Sure enough, it too reeks of oysters. Now, I know a normal person at this point would be done if not having checked out on beer two, but I am thinking this is going to make for great blog fodder. I had no idea this was going to get even better.

Kelly and Gary show up as I finish this beer and Gary orders a draft. I tell him what is going on and that we have to leave, but order one more beer so he is not drinking alone. This final beer also reeks of oysters and I am now done. At this point, I am starting to fear I may get sick. In fact, I was going to post this last night after getting home, but wanted to wait and see if I had any additional information to report. Thankfully, I am alive and kicking. We ask for our checks and I feel I have to tell our waitress about this mishap. I know, I know, I should have told her earlier, but this conversation was worth the wait. The following is my discussion with our waitress:

Me: Hey, I just want to let you know that my beers tasted and smelled like oyster juice had gotten onto the neck of the bottle. It was really rank.
Waitress: Yeah, that probably comes from them storing the oysters above the beer cooler.

Me: Do you think that's safe? It really made the drinking experience awful.

Waitress: Consider it a bonus. I didn't charge you for any oysters. I could have brought you some horse radish sauce if you wanted it.

I swear that was the conversation we had. I was so stunned, I couldn't say anything else. We left and headed to our second spot, which was intersting as well, but not as bad as this. Stay tuned for that report.

While I have had many great times at The Oyster Pub, I have to give this visit one Stiffy.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

1 comment:

Kraig said...

I can vouch for this entire report. Moreover, I don't think any of us will be back to the Oyster Pub anytime soon.