Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chili Dogs


I had to break up my posts for my Chicago trip as I was a bit hungry tonight watching the Cavaliers/Bulls game. I decided to make a couple of chili dogs to get me through the Lakers/Thunder game.

A while ago, I was in a Sears store and saw they had a hot dog grilling machine on sale for something like $19.99. It looked kind of cheesy, but it turns out to be one of the best culinary purchases I have ever made. You have all seen these hot dog grilling machines in 7/11 or at the ball field, but believe me when I tell you that if you get one at home, it will change your life. You will never eat another brown water hot dog again in your life.

Tonight I went with Sabrett's skinless beef hot dogs, but wish I could have brought back some Vienna Beef hot dogs from Chicago. My buddy Ryan told me he found some one time at Sam's Club and bought like the whole case. I have not been able to find them anywhere down here in Florida. I do have to say that Sabrett's is a pretty good dog.

I put them on the grilling machine and let them turn for about 15 minutes. Then I grabbed my buns and put them on the stove to toast them with butter. This was technique was taught to me by the late Bill France in his suite when I used to work for International Speedway Corporation. He saw me struggling to figure out how to grill my buns and told me, "Let me show you how to do it son." You have to put some butter in the pan, get it melted and then place the buns split side down. This will toast the top of the hot dog bun and give it a great buttery taste.

After heating the chili up in the microwave, I put my dogs together and finished them off with a splash of Crystal Louisiana Style Hot Sauce. This was some good lovin' chili dogs. I couldn't have found better hot dogs anywhere if I would have decided to go out and bring some back.

The brand of the hot dog griller is called Nostalgia Electrics and I found mine at Sears. If you like hot dogs, you have to take it to the next level and get you one of these machines for your house. You'll find every excuse in the book to eat hot dogs a couple of times a week. It also comes in handy on game day when you have the fellas over to watch the game. It holds four of the longer dogs at a time and eight regular size hot dogs if you decide to go the shorter route. Turn the machine on and just let them roll all afternoon as you keep on adding new dogs throughout the game.

I usually don't grade any of my own cooking, but these chili dogs tonight would warrant a rating of five Stiffy's if I did. LOL

Look for my additional Chicago posts on the blog tomorrow.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: