Friday, April 9, 2010

Sloppy Joe's


Sloppy Joe's
Daytona Beach Ocean Walk
250 N. Atlantic Ave.
Daytona Beach, FL 32118
(386)239-0014
www.sloppyjoes.com

When I was working for International Speedway Corporation my contact at Pepsi was Cindy, who also worked closely with Julynn at Daytona International Speedway. Over the years the work relationship became a friendship which continues to this day. While we have not seen Cindy and her husband, Mark in quite a while, they called us to let us know they would be spring breaking with their kids in Daytona Beach and wanted to get together for dinner. They wanted us to meet at Sloppy Joe's.

Now this is when you know you are getting old and how much you may have damaged your brain in your younger years. As God as my witness, I never knew Sloppy Joe's served food. My previous experiences have all been at the Sloppy Joe's location in Key West and I vaguely remember sharing numerous fishbowl sized rum drinks. If I would have known I could have had a sandwich to go along with those drinks back then, it would have been pure heaven. I have to say Sloppy Joe's turned out to be a good choice.

We got the to restaurant and Cindy, Mark and their twin daughters were already seated. Their daughters are about the same age as Kennedy, so it was good to get them together. They all sat at the table playing their Nintendo DS games while the adults caught up with each other. The crowd was a bit brisk with tables turning rather quickly all evening. Because we were trying to catch up with each other, we weren't in a real rush. You could tell our waiter was a little perturbed at us, but what are you going to do? I am not big on spending an extraordinary long time at a table when I know the wait staff makes their money based upon how many tables they turn. That's why if I do take longer than usual, I try to leave a larger tip, but we were clearly being rushed this night.

Because we had the kids, we ordered their meals first along with appetizers for all of us. We got the calamari and some chips and salsa. The chips and salsa were good, but I found the calamari to be a bit chewy. I will say that the marinara dipping sauce for the calamari was outstanding with just the right amount of spice and heat. Cindy and Mark had the fish tacos, Julynn had the pulled pork and I ordered the blackened grouper sandwich. We were all pleased with our meals, but the grouper sandwich I had was simply incredible. The bun was perfectly toasted and the blackened seasoning was great. This was an outstanding sandwich. Mark and Cindy said the fish tacos were good and Julynn also liked her pulled pork sandwich. I noticed that her sandwich was a bit over sized. That was a great sized sandwich and may be worthy of me giving it a try sometime. However, the grouper was so good, it will be hard to deviate from that menu option. If you like grouper I strongly suggest you give it a try at Sloppy Joe's.

For my first dinner and food related visit to a Sloppy Joe's, I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: