Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Durkin's Tavern


Durkin's Tavern
810 W. Diversey Parkway
Chicago, IL 60614
(773)525-2515
www.durkinstavern.com

While I didn't eat at Durkin's Tavern while in Chicago, I thought it worthy of a post for the great tavern it seems to be. On my first night in town, Kraig wanted to go out to watch the NFL Draft and the Penguins game. I was all for that as I wanted to see what my Vikings would be doing draft wise. If you follow the NFL and the draft, you now know that I sat there all night waiting for the Vikings to make their pick only to have the trade it and leave me waiting until day two before we took anybody. It was bad enough that their were picking 30th, but to wait that long and then have them trade the pick, killed me.

Durkin's Tavern, while located in Chicago, is really a Pittsburgh bar. They had a big Pittsburgh Steelers banner hanging outside the tavern when I went in. Kraig was already there when I got there and had saved me a seat at the bar. That had to be an incredible feat given how busy they were that night upon my arrival and I was glad I had a place to set up shop. We had a great time watching hockey and messing with the manager, TJ, who is a Cleveland Browns fan. How he came to manage a bar in Chicago that is a haven for Pittsburgh fans I will never know, but he's a great guy and seems to know how to run a tavern.

At one point, a guy beside me ordered a cheeseburger and that's when I was introduced to the fact that Chicagoans love Tater Tots. I have never seen them served in place of French fries before. That's what made me order them later when we went to Four Shadows to eat. This guy's burger looked really good, but I just wasn't hungry at the time.

Durkin's Tavern is as lively as any sports bar I have ever been to with a great number of flat screens and jumpin' music playing on the sound system. On the second night we went there they were having a "Half Way to Halloween" theme and there were actually people dressed for the occasion. I can only imagine how crazy this place is going to be next week for their Cinco de Mayo night, which was advertised extensively in the bathroom.

If you are looking for a great sports bar with what I believe is pretty good food and a great crowd, you should give Durkin's Tavern a try. It is really a good time.

Oh yeah, shout out to my boy Shane who works there, but was off my last night in town and had beers with me and Kraig at the bar.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: