Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tijuana Flats - Sanford, FL

I went with some of the guys from the office today to Tijiuana Flats in Sanford. We happened to be with Sebastian that loves going to what we call, The Flats. He could probably go there everyday. I always try to veto this place, for what reason I don't know, as I always have a great meal when I get there. I have got to stop being so picky in my choices.

Tijiuana Flats is a local chain started in Orlando that specializes in Mexican food. Their other specialty is the many hot sauces that they offer. Today it was about 95 degrees in Florida, but I told Nick, "My problem is that I can never turn down the opportunity to utilize their hottest sauce, Endorphin Rush." I know this stuff is going to take me to another level, but I cannot deny it no matter what. I am like an addict.

My meal of choice here is the beef and bean burrito with everything, but the jalapeno peppers. I like to combo my meal to include rice and refried beans and I get my burrito wet. My sauce of choice here is the chipotle red sauce that they have with a side of sour cream. The sour cream is a veiled attempt on my part to keep the heat down to it's lowest level, but it never works. You should see me when I eat this Endorphin Rush sauce. It is not for the faint of heart. I start sweating profusely. Sweat running down the back of my neck, beads running down my forehead and face as well as my scalp getting soaking wet. It is so good!

Everyone orders their meal at the counter and then takes a seat. They bring your order out in a short period of time and always seem to get it right. They have great service with their waiters and waitresses coming to your table asking if you need more refills on your drinks to keep you hydrated. I strongly suggest you try out this local favorite and experience their great sauces if you dare. They have a variety, which provides you the opportunity to slowly work your way up to the hottest of sauces. Trust me, this is merely a training exercise and you can eat hotter sauces once you have trained your mouth to accept a sauce on the next level.

Everytime go to Tijuana Flats, I think of my colleague Jeff from Nebraska that also says he can eat Mexican everyday. Whenever he is in town for meetings, we know we are going to have to take him to the Flats or Chipotle. More on Chipotle in a different message.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

Joey Chestnut said...

You can never go worng at the Flats. Not only is this a great lunch place if you can avoid the long lines of the noon rush, but they have great $1 beer specials everyday from 4-close. They have locations all over Central Florida and the hot sauce bar offers a wide variety for everyone.

My go-to at the Flats is Blackened Nachos w/ no black olives, and extra jalapenos!!

Stiff Competition said...

I caution the extra jalapenos right now until the scare is over regarding salmonella. Jalapenos have now been proven to be the leading cause of this outbreak.

Hold off for a few more weeks and then have at it.