Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fudgsicle


In an effort to be a good dad, I bought my daughter some fudgsicles the other day as a treat for her to have before bedtime. I really didn't pay a lot of attention to the pops being purchased until last night when I went to go get her one. The box I purchased had milk chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate. Personally, I only remember milk chocolate from my days as a kid, but when the hell did fudgsicles go to one pop on one stick? What is the world coming to?

When I was a kid we got two sticks supporting what today would be considered two pops I guess, but it made for a great treat. There even was a time where the double pop was being supported by only one stick in the middle of the pop versus two side-by-side. One less stick, but still the same amount of fudgsicle. We have got to stop depriving kids of their youth. They already grow-up so much faster than we did anyway, the least we can do is still give them an American treat as it was meant to be.

After looking at the box more clearly I noticed that it also says, "Fat Free with Calcium." Now I know the calcium is a good addition for the kids, but was quite surprised the fudgsicle tasted as good as it did being a fat free product. Usually, you can tell the difference between a regular version versus a fat free version. Maybe it was because I haven't had a fudgsicle in so long that I cannot remember what they taste like, but this was pretty darn close to what I remember.

My guess is the fat free claim and the three various flavors are to also make these treats appeal to adults as well. I am not so sure a kid cares about white chocolate or dark chocolate. I know my daugher ate about half of the white chocolate before handing it back to me and saying it was too sweet. Since I couldn't let the second half go to waste, I ate it and agree that it is too sweet. I'll have to try the dark chocolate next, but would assume it will appeal to my adult palate. The true test will again be to see if she likes it too. Typically, kids are down for milk chocolate and could care less about a bunch of different varieties.

For this quick trip back to my childhood, I have to give these fudgsicles three Stiffy's, taking off a point for the one less stick.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: