Sunday, August 2, 2009

Park's Seafood Riverside


Park's Seafood Restaurant
1112 Riverside Drive
Holly Hill, FL 32117
(386)258-7272
www.parkseafood.com

My dad is old school, and to old school, Friday's means fish for dinner. I figured this would be the perfect time to try out Park's Seafood Restaurant. My wife and daughter had gone to the movies leaving us men to fend for ourselves, so I thought this would be the perfect time to try something new. I am glad I did.

I knew Park's was located somewhere on Riverside Drive, so I decided just to head straight down LPGA Blvd. to the end and go from there since I live in the LPGA. I knew I should take a left at Riverside Drive, but had no idea, the restaurant is right there as soon as I make the turn. It was really easy to find. What isn't so easy to find is parking. They have a small lot on their property, but plenty of spaces located across the street. We were lucky and found a couple leaving right as I was dropping my father off and preparing to park across the street.

As would be expected, the restaurant was busy on a Friday night. We got there about 6:15 and was told there would be a wait. When I asked if we could sit at the bar, the young lady replied sure and took us to a table in the bar area. I guess I didn't make myself clear as I was only inquiring about having a drink at the bar first before getting a table in the main dining room. However, it worked out perfectly that she gave us a table in the bar area and all was good.

We perused the menu, but my father was set on having catfish for dinner on this evening. I really couldn't figure out what I wanted so I decided to join him with the catfish. They did have a number of different fish available as specials. Our waitress was very busy and took a little while to get to the table, but she did acknowledge us and told us she would be with us as soon as possible. That scores big points with me as I just want servers to at least let us know we are there and they are aware of it. Big props to her on this move.

Our waitress comes to the table to take our drink orders and returns pretty quickly. This is when we find out that all entrees come with fish dip and crackers, a cup of Manhattan style fish soup, a choice of french fries, baked potato, sweet potato or cheese grits, Cole slaw and hush puppies. I am totally into this place at this point. She delivers our fish dip and crackers and I find it to be very good. The dip has a great taste and the Captain's Wafers are crisp. My dad did tell me the saltines were a little bit stale. I find most saltines in restaurants stale and always go Captain's Wafer. We both decide to get the catfish with french fries, but I substitute my fish soup with clam chowder. You will have to pay for your chowder if you decide to go this route as it is served as an appetizer, but I found it worth it. I had recently had a can of clam chowder at home and told the waitress my guess was there were more clams in the chowder they served than would be in five cans of what I had eaten earlier in the week. This is great clam chowder! It was hot, creamy and full of clams and potatoes.

Our catfish showed up at a good interval after our soups and it was really hot as well as the steak fries they serve. Additionally, we both enjoyed the Cole slaw, which had great flavor and was not made with too much mayonnaise. The portions were substantial enough that we had to take our fish home after everything that was served to us.

We had a great meal in a great restaurant with great atmosphere. I would strongly encourage you to visit Park's Seafood Riverside if you are looking for fresh fish in a relaxing atmosphere with great service. I thought the prices were reasonable given the amount of food we received.

For my visit to Park's Seafood Riverside, I have to give them four Stiffy's. Check this place out if you enjoy good seafood.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

Begs said...

So, you're saying that the catfish plat was purr-fect?

Stiff Competition said...

That is so bad! I love it!