Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gene's Steak House


Gene's Steak House
3674 W. Int'l Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32124
(386)255-2059

I knew my wife and I were going to dinner with friends on Friday evening, but I didn't know where we were going. Had I known we were going to Gene's Steak House, I probably wouldn't have had a cheese steak for lunch. Oh well, what are you going to do, but step-up?

Gene's Steak House is located about four miles from our house, but I have never been there before. Gene's has been in operation since 1948 and my guess would be every driver that has ever driven in the Daytona 500 has probably eaten here at least once. I bet back in the day you could go to Gene's on the Thursday or Friday before the Daytona 500 and get autographs from every driver in the field. Their decor is loaded with pictures of all the famous NASCAR drivers.

This is what I call a true steak house. The place has no windows, a piano player in the bar area and lots of dark wood. We met our friends Jeff and Ronda for dinner at 8:30. At first I thought this was a bit late, but given that I had that steak sandwich for lunch, it worked out perfectly for me. Julynn and I beat them there, so we had a drink at the bar and watched a little of the Cowboys game. I was anxious to see their new stadium.

Jeff and Ronda showed-up shortly after we arrived and we were seated in the dining room. Given the late hour, we were one of only two tables in the dining room. They seat us next to their wine rack and it is clear they have an extensive wine list. None of us were drinking wine that night, but I made a mental note. Our server showed-up promptly to take our orders and everyone decided on steak. Jeff and Ronda ordered the stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer and they said they tasted great. Julynn and I did not go for an appetizer this evening. I ordered a New York strip along with Jeff and the ladies both had the filet. Ronda and I also ordered the twice baked potato, which was outstanding, with Jeff getting a plain baked potato and Julynn getting on board with him. Julynn and I also ordered the creamed spinach. All meals also come with a salad, which I did not accept. However, when they came to the table, I was sorry I didn't get one. They looked really good.

After the appetizers and salads, the steaks arrived in due time. Everyone agreed that the steaks were cooked perfectly along with our potato choices. I have to recommend to anybody that goes to Gene's, you must order the creamed spinach. It was some of the best creamed spinach I have ever had. I was not able to finish my steak after eating the creamed spinach and my twice baked potato, which was loaded with all kinds of goodies. I would also urge people to try this dish over the regular baked potato.

The prices for our meal is what you would expect in a steak house of this caliber. Julynn and I ate for a little over $100 for the two of us. I thought that was really good in Daytona Beach and was pleased I had finally tried Gene's Steak House.

For my steak filled Friday and my visit to Gene's, I have to give Gene's Steak House four Stiffy's. I will definitely be going back.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: