Thursday, August 27, 2009

KFC's Double Down Sandwich


OK, before you read any further, take a quick peek at the image of me at the top of the page. Yep, I'm a "Fathead." There aren't many things I will not eat and haven't met a meal I didn't like. With that said, it should be noted I am afraid of the newest sandwich being tested by Kentucky Fried Chicken.

KFC is now testing a sandwich called the Double Down in Rhode Island and Nebraska. The Double Down consists of two fried chicken patties, bacon, Swiss and pepper jack cheese and a shot of the Colonel's sauce. (I'm not even going to touch that one.) The kicker here is that the chicken patties are being used in place of the bun in this sandwich. The bacon, cheese and sauce are in between the two chicken patties. This thing is wrong on so many levels that I hardly know where to start.

The first thing that should be discussed is the lack of a bun. The bun serves a purpose of providing the diner with protection from the meat or other items in the sandwich. It also serves the purpose of allowing one to add condiments such as mayonnaise, ketchup or mustard. To substitute the bun with two fried chicken patties is just sacrilege. I cannot even begin to guess where this thing comes in on the caloric scale. One would think that it is off the charts. How is a person supposed to hold onto this thing when it is served to you hot?

The next thing that needs to be addressed is KFC's motivation for creating such a sandwich. I can't begin to tell you what I wouldn't give to have been in the brainstorming session that came up with this concoction. I am also surprised that a company of this size would condone the vast amounts of cannabis that must have been smoked to first come up with the idea and secondly to have management approve it. At a time when America continues to fight obesity, the irresponsibility of KFC to introduce such a sandwich is amazing. Sure the person that orders this thing bears the responsibility for anything that happens to them for eating it, but KFC has to be held accountable as well. My guess is you won't see the Double Down being advertised during "The Biggest Loser."

I have never really wished failure on any company, but my reasons for hoping this thing fails are purely selfish. If this sandwich reaches the level of national roll-out, I will have no choice but to try one and report back to you. After all, I've chosen this path of reporting on food to you and would lose my "Fathead" status if I didn't try one.

I'll keep you posted.

Harry

No comments: