Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Smokey Bones


Smokey Bones
1000 WP Ball Blvd.
Sanford, FL 32771
(407)688-8227
www.smokeybones.com

I went to Smokey Bones in Sanford the other day with my boys Fourth Meal, Hulk, Seabass and Andy (no nickname yet). I have to tell you, I don't know what Smokey Bones is trying to do or who they are trying to be.

When Smokey Bones first started they were a barbecue restaurant and sports bar. They had a ton of screens and speakers available at each table allowing you to choose a screen to watch and you would be able to hear it at your table. As far as I know, you can still do this, but I have not been there during a major sporting event, so I don't know for sure. As we were waiting to be seated, I see that Wednesday night at Smokey Bones is Ladies Night and they have a DJ. What the hell is that all about? I can't see myself saying, "C'mon baby, we're going to Smokey Bones for some barbecue and some dancing." I remember when they used to focus on their barbecue skills and it was all about the food. I think their problem is they are trying to create a "gourmet barbecue" experience. In my mind, "gourmet barbecue" is an oxymoron. Barbecue is the people's food and should be good and affordable. I feel Smokey Bones is pricing themselves out of the market as their food is not that much better than other local barbecue places that are in the area. In fact, I think there is better barbecue at a more affordable price at Keller's in Lake Mary. Just my opinion.

We visited the other day for lunch. It was unusually slow in the restaurant for a Friday. My guess is the economy is having an effect on their business. Seabass and Andy were running a little behind us, so we decided to go ahead and order our food since Fourth Meal and Hulk had to be back to work for a conference call. Seabass and Andy show up about 10 minutes after we place our order and are still not ready to place their order yet. The waitress gets their drinks and then takes their orders. As you might have guessed, a woman shows up about 10 minutes later with the food for Seabass and Andy. We are perplexed at this point. They tell us our food will be out shortly, but this is obviously a major fas paux. Our food finally arrives and everything looks good. I went with the Smokehouse Chicken Sandwich, Fourth Meal got the Smokehouse Turkey Sandwich, Hulk got the Smokehouse Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, Seabass got the Flippin Fingers (chicken fingers) and Andy got the Pulled Pork Sammy. Once everybody got all of their food, things seemed to be all right. That is until I praised the Hulk on this choice of mashed potatoes and gravy as a side. At this point, he told me to try them. I wouldn't as I had enough work to do with my chicken sandwich and baked potato, but it was then why he told me he wanted me to try them. They were stone cold. He knows how I feel about cold food and thought I might be the one turning green instead of him. Since they were already running late, he sucked it up and just ate them without sending them back. That is too bad since the restaurant was not that busy and they had screwed-up delivering our order already. No way should he have gotten cold food.

Overall, the food was all right, but I am still wondering where this chain is headed. I would like to see them concentrate on delivering real good barbecue at a good price. Forget the sports stuff and ladies night. Getting women to come in for free drinks and men to look at them, will not convert barbecue lovers in the long run. Serve great barbecue at a great price and you should be fine.

For our visit to Smokey Bones last week, I have to give them three Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: