Saturday, September 5, 2009

Carrabba's Italian Grill


Carrabba's Italian Grill
2200 W. International Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386)255-3344
www.carrabbas.com

Tonight I hooked-up with my main girl, Julynn to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I swear, I don't know where the time has gone. She wanted to go to Carrabba's since my other main girl never lets us go there. For some reason, whenever we go out our seven-year-old never wants to go to Carrabba's, so we hadn't been in a while. I should feel bad about letting a seven-year-old control this part of my life, but you can't argue with a person that was instrumental in the closing of the Sanford Bennigan's.

Originally, I was a bit hesitant about going to Carrabba's at 6:30 on a Friday evening. Usually, they have lines out the door as early as 5:00 on Friday's. However, on this night it is clear the economy is taking its toll on people. We walked right in and got seated without a wait. I was quite surprised.

For the second time today, I got a little jammed-up at my table. We were at the first table from the kitchen. Carrabba's has an open kitchen so people can see their food being prepared. Being near the kitchen was not what got to me, but the smell once we sat down. I think the towel the busboy used to wipe the table was sour. It smelled horrible. Either I got used to the smell or it went away when the table dried after he wiped it. Whatever the case, it was rough going there for a minute.

I had a tough time choosing an entree. Because I had done Longhorn for lunch, I didn't feel hungry. After going over the menu about five times, I finally decided on the grilled salmon with garlic mashed potatoes. Julynn went with their special grill menu, which included a soup or salad, entree and dessert. She had the tomato salad, chicken arugula and the banana brulee. When I ordered my salmon, the waiter asked if I wanted a salad and dessert as well. I told him, "No, I'm not that hungry." Again, our service was impeccable and the food got to the table in a very timely manner. I'm starting to think something has got to go wrong as I am now officially on a winning streak. Three restaurants in a row with no issues.

Julynn and I both enjoyed our meals and I found my dish was not too filling. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the garlic mashed potatoes were so light they can only be described as airy. They were full of flavor and practically melted in my mouth. The humorous part of the meal came when the waiter delivered Julynn's banana brulee. As God as my witness, the dessert was served in a shot glass. It was one of those square shot glasses. It had a little bit of cake on the bottom, cream in the middle and a slice of banana on the top. Take note that the banana was not sliced longways, but about the size of a quarter. If I would have been drinking my beer when he set it on the table, I would have spit it out. I really didn't think the spoon would fit in the glass. I laughed my butt off and thought this a great ending to a nice evening.

While I ate the salmon tonight, Carrabba's really has some excellent Italian dishes that I would have preferred had I been hungrier. Give them a shot the next time you are in the mood for a nice Italian meal.

For my 10th anniversary dinner, I am going to give Carrabba's five Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: