Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Pirate's Gold Marinade


More big props going out tonight, but this time it is to my boy Gary for turning me onto Pirate's Gold Marinade. He had mentioned this to me before, but I really didn't take notice until he told me the other day that they also make an inferno version. I felt like I had to try it.

Like Gary, I figured I would try it with some wings. It says on the bottle that the longer you marinade your meat, the hotter it will be. I put my wings in with the marinade and let them go for 24 hours. The marinade had a good opportunity to get into the meat and deliver all this great flavor. I put them in the oven at 500 degrees for about 30 minutes. I felt the increased heat would make the crisp up really nice. While that did happen, I shouldn't have put them in a regular pan. I would suggest putting them on a broiler pan so the juices can drop below them and the chicken wings are not swimming in the sauce and grease rendered from the meat. My wings were crispy on the top, but soft on the bottom.

The marinade really did permeate the meat. The first couple of bites provided great flavor, but as I continued to eat the wings, the heat began to make itself known. This heat is a slow and latent heat. It isn't uncomfortable, but my lips were soon tingling. I didn't reach the sweating point, but my nose did start to run a bit. I let you know all of this so you can decide if you think you can handle the heat at this level. As a person that eats and likes a lot of hot food, you should be able to judge for yourself what you are able to endure. Pirate's Gold also comes in a regular version as well. If you like the heat, I would tell you to try the inferno. It is not as bad as you would think, but is loaded with great flavor.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

1 comment:

Begs said...

It's weak if you didn't sweat.