Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Houligan's



Houligan's
1110 W. Granada Blvd.
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
(386)671-2285
www.wallywings.com

A few days ago I was caught up in the excitement of the NFL playoffs and started feeling hungry. However, it was one of those nights where I could not decide what I wanted to eat. After much haggling between my brain and my stomach, I finally decided on chicken wings. That decision then led to the next decision that needed to be made, which was, "Wings from where?"

Now this decision is very important due to the fact that I was very hungry. As I head over I-95 I have a choice to make. Do I go south and get wings from the Wing House, Hooter's, Ale House or even KFC's new grilled wings? Or, do I go north and get my wings at Houligan's? From the name of this post, you know I headed north.

I get to Houligan's and they are not too crowded for a Saturday night. The easiest thing to do when ordering to go is to head to the bar, order a beer and place my wing order. I do so and start to drink my beer. As I go for my second or third sip of beer, the young lady that took my order comes back with my wings. I am wondering if they have wings all ready to go and then just run them through the appropriate sauce when the time comes. This is one time when I wasn't excited about really quick service. That doesn't happen often. After finishing my beer, I pay my bill and head home.

Once home I get everything set up and get ready to dig in. When I open the top on the container I am immediately stunned at the size of the wings. As God as my witness, I thought these were wings from Cornish hens. I could not believe how small they were. After getting over the size of these wings, I start to get after them and have to admit they are probably better than any of my other choices. I got my wings extra hot and grilled. They were full of flavor and had stayed on the grill just the right amount of time. It should also be noted that Houligan's serves a great tasting Bleu Cheese dip for your wings, which I think they may make in-house. While some people like Ranch dressing on their wings, I would encourage you to try Houligan's Bleu Cheese dressing.

I'll probably give Houligan's wings another shot to just see if I caught them on a bad night when the wings were smaller than usual. If not, I'll get back to ordering their burgers which I find to be pretty tasty. It is just hard for me to get a burger to go as I don't think burgers travel as well as wings.

For this trip to Houligan's I have to give them three Stiffy's.

Harry

1 comment:

Begs said...

That's what happens when you're in search of a good meal and just "wing it"