Saturday, January 2, 2010

Larry's Giant Subs



Larry's Giant Subs
1500 Beville Road
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386)257-2200
www.larryssubs.com

I was hanging with my buddy Gary and his son Vuk a couple of weeks ago and Gary said we needed to get Vuk something to eat. We were in the Beville Road area, a spot we don't get to often, so we weren't real sure about what we could find. Gary said he knew there was a Taco Bell nearby, so we headed in that direction. At the last moment, Gary remembered there was a Larry's Giant Subs nearby and thought that would be a better place to go as Vuk likes the big gorilla they have coming out of the wall inside. I think this may have been the first time I've been involved with a restaurant choice that was based on the location's decor. At the end of the day, I am glad we decided to go.

It has been ages since I have been to Larry's Giant Subs. I got turned onto Larry's Giant Subs by my buddy Daryl when I worked at ISC. Anyway, we got there after 1:00 and the place was just about empty. Turns out it was perfect timing as a bus pulled in as we were finishing our sandwiches filled with about 50 kids that had just finished a soccer or volleyball game.

It took me a little while to peruse the menu, but I finally settled on the Ultimate. This sandwich has roast beef, roast turkey and ham with your choice of cheese. I chose provolone. I included lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and jalapenos. I was torn between the 8" or 12" version and finally decided to go with the smaller version. I ordered it as a combo to include chips and a drink. I think Gary got the liverwurst and Vuk a hot dog. Our orders came out quickly, which was good as we were very hungry.

My first bite of my sandwich made me immediately ask myself why I have not been going there on a more regular basis. The bread was extremely fresh and the meats and cheeses were tasty. Gary said his sandwich was tasty and it should be noted he went all out and went for the 12". I have to assume Vuk liked his hot dog as he didn't complain and he ate most of it. He was in fact enthralled about the gorilla up on the wall.

I can definitely see myself getting back to Larry's Giant Subs sometimes soon. I am a huge sandwich guy and these guys have got it right. For this visit to Larry's Giant Subs, I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

2 comments:

Begs said...

I've never heard of anyone going liverwurst...strong move from Gary.

Unknown said...

Have 2 words 4 u: Mario's Subs. It's a pizza/wings/sub joint here in DeLand at the corner of US 17/92 (Woodland Blvd) and Int'l Speedway Blvd. I like the pizza ok, but LOVE the subs!!! Get this- a 16in sub for $5. Subway and Quiznos can suck it. LoL. I have 4 more inches than you!!! Hahahahahaha