Saturday, January 2, 2010

Smoke Shack BBQ



Smoke Shack BBQ
1105 N. US Hwy. 1
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
(386)673-RIBS (7427)
www.thesmokeshackbbq.com

By now you have probably noticed a common theme for many of my posts in that I do a lot of meals with Gary and his son Vuk. Not only does Gary appreciate and understand my love of good food, but he is going to be moving to Manhattan soon, so we are trying to get it done before he gets out of here. His buddy Murph from Chicago was recently in town, so we thought we would take him out for some good BBQ.

We headed to the Smoke Shack again and got there after their main lunch rush, which was great as it was a pretty cool day and I could not sit outside to eat if there were no table available. We placed our orders and since Murph was on vacation, we also got after a bucket of beers. There is nothing like a couple of beers in the middle of the day when everyone else is at work. It feels like Tiger Woods must feel during a weekend in Vegas. You know you shouldn't be doing it, but it just feels so good.

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich with macaroni and cheese, Gary and Murph both ordered the Big Poppa. The Big Poppa definitely earns its name. It is a sandwich with generous helpings of beef brisket, pulled pork, cole slaw, shredded cheddar cheese and barbecue sauce. This was the first time I had seen the sandwich and it looked incredible. I may have to give it a shot the next time I go. Vuk got after some ribs and baked beans and when I saw his beans, I had to go back to the counter and order myself a side as well. They have really good baked beans. They add chunks of pineapple that give the beans a wonderful sweetness I have never experienced anywhere else.

All of us agreed that the food was exceptional as always. This restaurant seems to be very consistent with their food and is a great addition for our area. The only slight complaint I had is that my pulled pork was not as hot as I like. Don't get me wrong, it was warm, but I like my food really hot as if it has just come off the grill.

We had a great meal before sending Murph off to the cold of the Windy City and promised to bring him back again the next time he is in town. I don't feel bad for Murph though as he lives in one of the best cities for anybody that loves good food.

If you haven't made it out to the Smoke Shack yet, I am telling you get there soon. This is award winning barbecue. For this visit to the Smoke Shack, I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: