Friday, November 13, 2009

The Brickyard



Brickyard Lounge
747 International Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL
(386)253-2270
www.daytonabrickyard.com

I went to The Brickyard today for the second time this week. Thinking I was being smart I went at 1:00 to avoid the lunch rush only to find a line at the door. They were really packed today, but that just goes to show you how good this place really is. The owner, Renny, told me to stay right where I was near the front door while he went to get me a stool. He came back shortly and placed me at the bar looking right into the kitchen with my back to the front door. Everybody that came and went let a great gust of cool air in that I knew would threaten the heat of my food when it arrived, so I would have to eat quickly.

Renny quickly brought me a beer as I just sat and watched everyone in action with this large crowd. Since it is never quite this busy, it was something to see the cooks getting after it to get the orders up and the waitresses running to get them out. Everything seemed to run like a well rehearsed ballet. I was impressed. Now if you were to ask one of the other tables that were waiting for their food, they may not have felt the same way that I did. Given that I had nowhere to be this afternoon, I just nursed my beer until things got a little less hectic before placing my order.

Renny comes back once things slow down a little and asks if I am ready to order. He suggests the steak sandwich, a fish sandwich or his all-beef hot dog. All sound good, but I had arrived thinking a burger was in my future, so there is no way I could have changed. Something strange happens to my body when I go to a restaurant expecting to order one thing and then having to call an audible. Its like my cells have already started processing my order and then they cannot catch up when the food that hits the stomach is not what was processed through the brain earlier. Surely it is psychological, but I swear it seems physical. This actually happened to me about a month ago at The Brickyard. I wanted to order a bacon-cheddar burger only to be told they were out of bacon and cheddar cheese. How does that happen? It seemed the wings I ordered were not nearly as good as they had been in the past.

Anyway, I ordered my burger and fries and once again was not disappointed. The meat was so juicy and flavorful. The fries were piping hot and crispy just the way I like them. I was glad I went for the burger instead of going for something else on the menu this time. Maybe the next time I go there will be something else in store for me.

Today I came to the conclusion that if my next job is located here in Daytona Beach, I am going to become the Norm of The Brickyard. My plan is to eat there every day and just work my way back and forth through the menu. My reasons are two-fold. First, the food is great, but secondly I think it is important to support locally owned restaurateurs whenever possible, particularly during these tough economic times. The larger chains will survive these tough times much easier than the Mom and Pops around town. Try your best to support the little guy whenever you can and as much as you can. Most of the time you will probably find yourself getting a better meal at a better price anyway.

For my two visits this week to The Brickyard, I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

1 comment:

John said...

The Brickyard is fantastic. Definitely a "can't miss" spot in Daytona Beach.