Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Smiley's Tap & Tavern



Smiley's Tap & Tavern
1161 N. US Highway 1
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
(386)677-9609

See that little shack looking place behind the red truck in the picture? That is Smiley's Tap & Tavern in Ormond Beach. I have been riding by this place for years, but have always wondered what they had going on. The thing that intrigued me is a sign they have out front that states simply, "Good Food." Can you really go wrong here?

So how much of a loser am I that when I reach out to my other unemployed friends that they have plans and cannot join me for lunch? I had sent an email to Gary and Kelly to see if they wanted to get after it. It should be noted that Gary is not working by choice and stays at home taking care of his son Vuk. Great job if you can get it. Kelly and I are both looking for our next opportunity. I say, "What the hell?", and decide to fly solo.

Smiley's Tap & Tavern is a small place. There is seating outside, but you already know where I stand regarding AL fresco dining. When I enter I realize just how small. There are 10 chairs at the bar and by my count another 20 available in the restaurant. There is also a pool table in the room taking up some of the space. I got there a little bit after the lunch hour around 1:00 and there are a couple of people at the bar and one person passing me as I enter. Most of the people at the bar leave and it is now just me and one other fellow left. It isn't long before he finishes his burger and it is just myself and the bartender.

She comes over to take my drink order and I begin to review the menu. It becomes clear that Smiley's prides themselves on their burgers. They have other sandwiches and daily lunch specials, but overall, this is a simple menu. It is printed on a yellow piece of paper and fits entirely one side of the page. I don't think this is a bad thing as long as you do a good job making everything on the menu.

I had ordered a Coke and it arrives in an ice-cold can along with a plastic cup filled with ice. All of a sudden, I am loving this place. I figure I will play it safe and go burger. My order is a bacon cheeseburger with french fries. The bartender/waitress goes back to the kitchen and I don't see her again until she comes back out with my order. I think she is the only one working and is doing everything in the restaurant. Who knows how crazy this place would get if there were a number of people there. She's a champ if she can handle more than four or five folks.

She brings my food and the one thing I can say is that everything is really hot and freshly prepared. My burger looks good with a good size bun, three slices of tomato, crispy lettuce, three strips of thick sliced bacon and a sizable beef patty. I had ordered my burger medium rare, but it came out closer to rare. She came and asked me how everything was and I told her fine. I would much rather a mistake more towards the rare side than the well side. The burger is great and the fries are nice and crispy. I am feeling like I have found a new gem.

I like little places like this that are so non-pretentious in their presentation and service. Some people might be scared off by such a place, but I would encourage you to live a little and check-out some different places. I can see myself going back to try to Patty Melt or the Reuben. That will probably go down sometime in the next month or two.

If you are looking for some place off the beaten path, but still delivers good food, check out Smiley's Tap & Tavern. For my visit, I give Smiley's three Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

1 comment:

Begs said...

Sounds like an interesting place, but I’m not a huge fan of restaurants that don’t offer fountain soda or free refills