Monday, November 9, 2009

SmokeShack BBQ



SmokeShack BBQ
1105 N. US Hwy. 1
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
(386)673-RIBS (7427)
www.thesmokeshackbbq.com

My buddy Ryan read my last post regarding SmokeShack BBQ and sent me an email. He wanted to take some other guys from the ISC office to check it out and wondered if it would be too soon for me to join them? I told him I would be able to go for great barbecue anytime he wanted me too. My thoughts went immediately to what I would have for lunch on this trip. I was also anxious to find out how well the SmokeShack did in their last barbecue tournament the week before up in Georgia.

Upon arrival, I first noticed that this time the parking lot was packed. I was able to get one of the last parking spaces in the lot. In my last post I spoke of the smallish dining area inside and knew it must be packed as there wasn't anybody sitting outside at that moment. While waiting for the other guys to arrive I asked one of the waitresses how they did at the barbecue tournament. She told me they placed second in ribs, second in chicken and first in desserts, which they entered an apple pie. Impressive to say the least.

The guys showed up and it was Ryan, Marty, Todd and the Spice. The Spice is well-known for occasionally having a big meal at lunch and then having to fight off sleep the rest of the afternoon. As we were looking at the menu board I asked Spice, "What are you going to have with your afternoon nap today?" Everyone knew exactly what I was talking about, so it is glad to see some things have not changed since I left.

I decided to order the large pulled pork sandwich, as did the Spice, Todd and Ryan had platters and I think Marty had the brisket. The picture above is not one I took of my sandwich, but is a great representation of what I received. My order came first, so I took it outside to find a table. The weather was perfect, so there was no problem with me sitting outside. Before long there were multiple tables filling up with patrons outside. It seems this place is being discovered by others and they are starting to get some good crowds.

Once everybody got to the table, we dug in right away. My sandwich tasted fantastic! The pork was juicy, deliciously smoked and tender. Everybody at the table loved what they ordered and stated that it was some of the best barbecue they had had in a very long time. Even the Spice, who had just returned from Talladega Superspeedway and Dreamland Ribs, stated the food was great. Everybody also agreed that all of the sauces were outstanding. This restaurant is the real deal offering great barbecue at great prices. I have said it before and I will say it again, get out to SmokeShack BBQ and give this place a try. You'll be glad that you did.

For my second visit to SmokeShack BBQ I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: