Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Smoke Shack BBQ



Smoke Shack BBQ
1105 N. US Highway 1
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
(386)673-7427
www.thesmokeshackbbq.com

Finally, there is some real good barbecue being served in the Ormond Beach/Daytona Beach area. The Smoke Shack BBQ opened a few months ago on US-1 and it has been my desire to go for some time now, but just hadn't had the opportunity until a few days ago. All I can tell you is that I am glad that I did.

Parking for The Smoke Shack is behind the building, so don't look for cars to find the restaurant. You enter from the rear of the building and grab a menu to order at the counter and then find a spot to sit. I went that day with my friend Kelly and we were waiting for Gary, his father and Vuk. We sat down and a waitress came to take a drink orders. As we were waiting for her to return and Gary to show-up, I noticed all of the awards the restaurant has won for their barbecue. As a matter of fact, there was a notice on the wall alerting people the restaurant would be closed the following week as they were attending a BBQ competition in Georgia.

Gary and his group show-up about the same time as we get our drinks. I can't help but notice I have just been handed one of the coldest Bud bottles I have ever received in a restaurant. I immediately think, "Life is good."

We peruse the menu and see that there are a lot of choices available. They have the usual choices of ribs, brisket, chicken and pork, but I am loving the sides. The restaurant offers baked beans, Cole slaw, collared greens, smoked rice, mac-n-cheese and baked potato. They even offer a loaded baked potato filled with pork, cheese and a sauce. At first, I was a little disappointed they didn't have fries on their menu, but things were just fine with what they do offer. You can order your meals as a plate, sandwich or combo platter.

I order a full slab of the St. Louis ribs with mac-n-cheese and baked beans. Kelly got after the beef brisket, Gary ordered a combo platter to try the brisket and pork and Vuk had the kids order of ribs. Gary's father ordered a pulled pork sandwich. Gary tried the collared greens with his brisket and said they were great. He said the brisket was tender and juicy with just the right amount of smoke. The same could be said for the pork. My ribs were meaty, juicy and bursting with a rich, smokey flavor. I originally ordered the full slab with the goal of taking some home for later, but they were so good I ate most and then got Kelly to try one of the only remaining ribs. I overheard a man at the table next to us commenting on how much he had enjoyed his beer brisket sandwich. It seems as if just about everything is good here. The Smoke Shack has a variety of sauces to satisfy just about all palates. They have a sweet & tangy, mustard, original and hot. They are all made right there in the restaurant and make a great complement to their meats.

The Smoke Shack has both indoor and outdoor seating. The inside seems a little bit small when you take into account how good the food is. It won't be long before people discover this great location and start filling it regularly. It was not overly busy the day we were there, but still had people at just about every table. My guess is there are about 12-15 tables inside and about eight outside.

We all agreed the food was really good and glad we made the stop. This will definitely become one of my favorite locations for lunch or dinner. For this first visit at The Smoke Shack BBQ, I give them four Stiffy's. Do yourself a favor and get out there soon!

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: