Wednesday, November 18, 2009

El Tapatio



El Tapatio
2129 General Booth Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
(757)563-2373

Unfortunately, I was in Virginia earlier this week to attend a funeral for the mother of a friend. His mother, Pat, was a wonderful Italian woman that always wanted you to eat something when you visited her home. She will be surely missed by her family and friends. In fact, her love for cooking was passed along to her son Rocco who owns Mirabella's Italian Grille in Williamsburg. Check them out at www.mirabellagrille.net and be sure to visit if you are ever in town.

While in town, I had the opportunity to visit my inlaws who live in Virginia Beach. We had planned on meeting for dinner and my mother-in-law suggested Mexican. I love Mexican food, but don't eat it that much as I have not been able to find authentic Mexican food in Daytona Beach. Which is actually pretty funny since you would think there would be better Mexican food in Florida than Virginia.

My mother-in-law suggested El Tapatio since they have gone to another place near them quite a bit recently. She wanted to try this new place she had passed on the road for some time now. I am glad that we did as they have a great operation. The restaurant is located in a strip mall that I found quite intersting. There is a Japanese restaurant connected to a pizza joint that is connected to El Tapatio. They are all right by each other and I can only guess they benefit from being all together. You would think they would want some separation.

Before I even talk about the food in this restaurant, I have to speak to the service. These guys are incredible! We walk in and the immediately seat us. Once seated, a waiter shows up to take our drink orders and deliver chips and salsa. From that point on, they were all over the table. We had drinks filled quickly, chips replaced after the basket was half-empty and entrees brought out about seven minutes after ordering, but I am getting ahead of myself.

We order our drinks and start to nosh on the chips and salsa. They serve their chips with a regular type salsa and a white sauce that had a tangy lime flavor. While I don't know the origin of the white sauce, I found it to be truly amazing. This is coming from a person that doesn't really like tortilla chips, but they were so fresh I couldn't stop eating the. I didn't have to eat many as the entrees showed up very quickly after placing our orders.

I think Jim and Barbara got combo platters, but I went after beef and bean burrito with sides of refried beans and rice. The burrito was loaded and had just enough sour cream on top to make it perfect. I loved the rice and beans as sides as the beans were nice and creamy and the rice had a great kick. We all tore through our meals with ease. Jim and Barbara both commented on how good the food was and how fresh everything was. The entire time we were eating we were visited by a waiter about every 10 minutes. If there would have been something we needed, we certainly would not have had to wait very long.

The amount of food you get with your order and the prices makes this a perfect place for Virginia Beach residents and visitors to explore. I truly enjoyed my visit to El Tapatio and cannot wait until I get back with my wife and daughter.

Given the incredible service and great tasting food, I have to give El Tapatio the ever elusive five Stiffy's. You really have to try this place if you haven't been before.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: