Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tijuana Flats



Tijuana Flats
2280 W. Int'l. Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386)366-9117
www.tijuanaflats.com

I had a number of errands to run the other day and got them finished right around 11:45. Two questions present themselves, who and where? Luckily, I was able to reach my buddy Ronk at ISC and he was all about grabbing some lunch. He told me to pick the place and since I hadn't been to the Tijuana Flats in Daytona Beach, I figured we could take it there. My experience with Tijuana Flats has only been at the Sanford location when I worked over there.

Since I was already out and about, I beat Ronk there and waited before ordering. Tijuana Flats does something that I am not a big fan of, but I have to give them props as it is meant to be in the name of good service. There was a bit of a line and I was standing right inside the door. When they get a line they send out a person to take your drink order and bring your drink to you while you are in line waiting to get to the counter to order. I hate this move. It jams me up and throws me off my rhythm for placing my order. I declined the offer and she looked at me like I had two heads. My excuse to her was that my lunch partner still had not arrived.

Ronk got there in due time and we placed our orders. Ronk got a wrap and I got a beef and bean burrito combo, which includes rice and beans. The burritos come in three sizes with something to meet your needs no matter how big or small your hunger.

The only challenge I seem to have with Tijuana Flats is available seating, since as you know, I cannot eat outside in Florida. We were able to find a table, but it was all the way back at the rear entrance to the restaurant. My first reaction is that this is going to be a problem since they usually have waitresses roaming the restaurant offering drink refills, which I know I am going to need with all of the hot sauces they have. I am thinking they are going to forget us way in the back. As we sit down and start chatting, Ronk tells me that he likes hot sauces and can't wait to get at it. My thoughts are that this is great as we will both be sweating. I usually get Endorphin Rush and Ronk says he eats that as well. Now I am really psyched.

Have you ever been in the position where you want to start a conversation that you know has the potential to be painful if you don't word it right the first time? That was the situation I found myself in when one of the waitresses started heading back towards our table. I decided to go for it and the following is the exchange we had:

Me: Excuse me Miss. I have a question for you. I was at the Tijuana Flats location over in Sanford one day and I was talking to a young lady that worked there about a sauce they had that was even hotter than Endorphin Rush.

Her: Dolphin Rush? (Now I know I am in trouble.)

Me: No, Endorphin Rush. They had a sauce that was even hotter than Endorphin Rush, but it wasn't on the sauce bar. They had to bring it to me from the kitchen.

Her: We have Endorphin Rush on our sauce bar. (My head is now starting to throb.)

Me: Yes, I know you do, but I am looking for a sauce that is even hotter than that, but they won't put it on the sauce bar because it is too hot for the general public.

Her: I don't think we have anything else. All of our sauces are on the sauce bar. Are you familiar with our sauce bar? (My back teeth are now starting to ache.)

Me: Yes, quite. Would you check in the kitchen to see if they have a sauce they keep there that is hotter than the Endorphin Rush?

Her: Sure, but I don't think we have anything else.

Epic fail on my part to communicate with this woman. LOL

She trots off to the kitchen and I tell Ronk, "We better head to the sauce bar and get our Endorphin Rush as I don't think we are getting anything hotter."

We go up to the bar and heavy up on the sauces we want and return to the table. Another waitress calls our names and delivers our food. Everything looks great and I begin to scare Ronk with the amount of Endorphin Rush I spread over my food. I love this stuff, but know I am going to be sweating like crazy. Sure enough, the first waitress returns with a bottle of sauce from the kitchen. She explains that she didn't know anything about it, but they told her to tell me to be careful with it and to let her know when we were done so they could take it back into the kitchen. It came in a bottle, but I knew right away it wasn't the same as what I had at the Sanford location. This was a sauce that you could pour. What they gave me in Sanford was more like a paste that you had to spread. As a matter of fact, when the girl let me sample it, she put about a pin drop on the end of a toothpick for me to taste. Just that little bit blew me up! We thanked her and decided to try it as well. I dripped it on my food along with the Endorphin Rush that was already there. It was hot, but I cannot say it was as hot as what I had in Sanford.

My burrito, rice and beans were great. Ronk said he enjoyed his wrap and we both loved the sauces we used. Tijuana Flats is a great place and I have found they have incredible consistency in terms of quality and taste. If you like Mexican food and enjoy hot sauces, I would suggest you give them a try. I cannot wait to get back there sometime soon.

It was great catching up with Ronk and for our visit, I have to give Tijuana Flats in Daytona Beach four Stiffy's. Get there soon! I think you will enjoy it!

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: