Wednesday, November 18, 2009

South Turn Lounge & Restaurant



South Turn Lounge & Restaurant
1540 S. Nova Road
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386)253-5004
www.southturn.com

My friend Tara was in town last week and wanted to get everybody together for an evening of wings at the South Turn. She and her husband Andy used to live close to the South Turn when Tara worked with us at ISC and Andy was going to flight school. The South Turn became their local hot spot and even now that they live in Hawaii, they always hit this old favorite when they get back to town.

There was a bunch of us there including Tara, Gary, my buddy Paul and his wife Paige, Chantelle, Mary and Krissy. This is a great place to take a large group of people because the menu is extensive with plenty of great sandwiches and their famous grilled chicken wings. They also have a ton of television screens to watch sports and pool tables if you want to get a game going. This night, our focus was on catching up with each other, having a few beers and eating their delicious wings.

Not surprisingly, everybody ordered wings. We ordered various levels of hot, but I also heard garlic wings being ordered as well. The South Turn's wings are so good because they start by frying their wings, tossing them in your sauce of choice and then grilling them to impart the flavor of the sauce into the crunchy coating. After placing our orders we all caught up with each other, but when the wings came, it got silent at the table as everybody started digging in. These just might be the best wings in Daytona Beach. That is quite a statement when you take into account how many places serve really good wings in the town.

Its funny how much I like these wings, but find myself getting to the South Turn so infrequently. I really need to make this one of the spots on my regular rotation. I consider the South Turn as a joint and I live joints. It is very non-pretentious, yet offers great food, friendly wait staff and an equally friendly clientele. It is very easy to strike up a conversation with people at the next table that you have never met before. I cannot wait to get back for some more of these great wings.

The evening turned out to be a wonderful time with friends I haven't seen in a while and to get reacquainted with wings I haven't eaten in a while. For my most recent visit to the South Turn, I have to give them four Stiffy's. You really should try to get there soon and try their wings. I do know you will not be disappointed.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: