Thursday, November 19, 2009

Paul's Deli Restaurant



Paul's Deli Restaurant
761 Scotland Street
Williamsburg, VA 23185
(757)229-8976
www.paulsdelirestaurant.com

My guess is that every college or university across the country has a restaurant that is a staple of the campus. For the College of William & Mary, that place is Paul's Deli. While I did not attend William & Mary, I'm nowhere near smart enough, I am an old Virginia boy that lived in Williamsburg for some time. I have been going to Paul's Deli for close to 30 years and it has remained as consistent as ever.

My buddy Fourth Meal is smart enough to have attended William & Mary and was even there while I was leaving in the area. Unfortunately, he and I did not meet until we worked together many years later. I cannot tell you how much I would have loved knowing him in his college years. That would really have been a blast! Anyway, I was back in Williamsburg the other day and getting ready to make my drive back to Florida. I felt like there was no way I could make it back with a visit to Paul's.

I got there that day around 2:00, so I was not expecting a crowd. As it turns out, I was correct and had completely missed the lunch rush. Paul's is really busy during lunch, in the evenings and anytime The Tribe are playing football. Paul's is the kind of place that if you are back in town for a game or visit, you are going to come here for a sub sandwich. It is just that good! I looked at their menu as if I was actually going to order something different. In all the years I have been going to Paul's, I have only ordered the Holly and the Prince George. Which is amazing when you consider they have 42 sub sandwiches on their menu. The two I choose whenever I visit are fantastic and will not allow me to venture off course and try anything new. It should also be noted they do fantastic pizza and strombolis as well. Those I can speak to with confidence as I have had them both. If you are in the mood for an entree, they offer great selections of the Italian and Greek variety. There is something here for everyone.

Paul's is set up in such a way that you go to the counter, place your order and then pay for your food. Once your order is ready, they call you over the intercom system. The savory saltiness of Virginia ham was calling my name, so I ordered a Prince George. It consists of Smithfield ham, turkey, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle and mayonnaise. This is all good to me, but I had them hold the pickle. I ordered the sandwich hot, so they toast the sub roll and heat the meats and cheese. The sandwiches are so big here that you really do not need to order fries, but it can be quite tempting. I held off and just had the sandwich along with a drink. The Prince George was everything I remembered. The Smithfield ham had just enough, but not too much salt, that goes so well with the heartiness of the Swiss cheese. I am thinking this just might be the world's most perfect sandwich. Certainly neck and neck with the old standard, BLT.

I sat there by myself eating this perfect sandwich and reminiscing about all the good times I have had at Paul's in the past. The decor still features pictures of William & Mary athletes all over the walls and I remember some of them as having been there way back when I was visiting in the 80s. The other thing Paul's features is their cook named Ronnie. I swear I have grown old with him serving me sandwiches through the years. He is still there and to this day, calls out my order correctly before I even place it. He has an amazing mind for his customers.

Paul's is a great place with great food and great people. If you find yourself in the Williamsburg, VA area, you have to try them out. The only problem for people from out of town is finding a place to park. It is very limited, but locals know to park on the street or across the street at the stadium on non-game days.

My sandwich was perfect and the memories great. For this visit to Paul's Deli, I have to give them four Stiffy's.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Harry

No comments: